Toronto 422 Wellington West | 14.33m | 2s | Allied | ERA Architects

Apparently the grand old (1888) McLeish and Powell Houses at 422 and 424 Wellington Street West were sold recently, I will assume for redevelopment. They're listed on the heritage inventory, (and pretty terrific looking anyway), so I would assume they'd be included in new plans.

View attachment 67799

That's Le Select Bistro just off to the left.

I don't know whether to be disappointed in this or buy a unit in the new condo.
My wife and I love 424 Wellington. We were married there in an epic party/wedding we hosted in 1999. It was an amazing space. The Jazz lounge, the intimate dining room, and the swing lounge upstairs with the horseshoe shaped booths, the fireplaces and the massive deck off the back.
Wedding ceremony, photos and party all took place there.
I can't imagine what they will do with the house once it's got a massive steel and concrete condo sticking out the back. Will it be the main entrance with some facilities for residents there?
Its better than the building being lost to the wrecking ball. And it might be an interesting place for us to buy a unit for investment, given our fondness for the location.
32663915_6a190e4daf_o.jpg

Attachments

• 32663915_6a190e4daf_o.jpg
    32663915_6a190e4daf_o.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 546
That is unfortunate, I don't understand why more people don't consider mature trees assets. Or why there is not better legislation to protect trees. Takes a lot longer to grow an old tree than to build something. I understand that sometimes they may need to go, but there should definitely be stricter assessment. I'd rather live in a building with mature trees than a building with saplings or nothing at all.

It happens. Toronto is actually pretty damn strict when it comes to felling mature, native trees.

I wonder if the fire stairs will actually be glazed as depicted in that one rendering - this is rarely done but one can hope.

Question for the UT team: where was the image of the ground floor plan used in the front-page article lifted from? I looked on the development applications site but for this address they don't seem to have the submitted PDF's up yet? I was hoping to peruse through the drawings.

Is there a reason the tower is so narrow compared to the lot? I really like it, but are they trading height for total area? Or is there some other limitation of the location?

I can't speak to the planning/zoning angle but in terms of code, the narrowness will allow a greater limiting distance from the adjacent properties, which affords the ability for a greater amount of fenestration/glazing on the long west and east sides of the property.

So, the more distance from the neighbouring buildings, the more windows they can have?

Essentially, although it's the distance from the building face to the property line (and middle of a public ROW where it's facing a street) as opposed to a neighbouring building face. There are ways around it via sprinklering, fire glass, etc., but I'm not as clear on these. I believe it's still fairly strict and cost-prohibitive.

Back