Toronto Wellesley Parliament Square | 151.07m | 47s | Greatwise | IBI Group

This area needs a new master plan with co-operation among the various land owners and support from the city and province. Adding further density to the site is not the solution unless it is used to swing existing renters into the new construction in order to replace the existing housing stock. As one of the highest density population areas in the country, revitalizing this area requires cooperation from all stakeholders, especially the government due to the nature of the buildings as low-income housing, in order to fix the structural issues with the configuration of the neighbourhood and deteriorating building conditions.
I agree with you, they need to replace not add more, we need more breathing open spaces in this area, a sports facility for the youth, a park with trees maybe some retail that can bring business and give the people already in the area room to move around and be entertained, but not even more glass towering condos, what is all that extra people do once they move in? I cannot imagine the traffic mess, the maintenance necessary to keep up with all the garbage generated with more people and less room, it’s just not sustainable....

You might have thought this project had gone quiet............but its head is being reared........at least in respect of a part of the plans discussed above.

According the Lobbyist Registry.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32479​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

Development and revitalization project located at 240 Wellesley Street East.

Client is Greatwise developments.

*No sign of any updated docs since April '20*

Bousfields, on behalf of Greatwise, registering to Lobby in respect of redevelopment plans at 280 Wellesley.

Not clear if this lines up w/what's already described above, or something new, no new application on file, as yet.

No new updated docs under the 240 Wellesley or 650 Parliament Apps.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32933​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

Zoning by law amendment for 280 Wellesley Street East

Has this project been abandoned ? 4 years later and strictly nothing out of the ground..

The post directly above your own answers your question.

There is active lobbying on the project.

In terms of 'nothing sticking out of the ground'......

The project's zoning was never approved by the City, and a Site Plan Approval was never filed. So they didn't have permission to go ahead.

I would expect (but don't know) that the lobbying is about trying to work out w/the City how to move forward on this proposal.

Ok thanks for the explanation! I’m new to urban Toronto website and wasn’t aware that projects seen were just proposals :) I thought it would need to have gone beyond a certain point of approval to be posted here… now I realise it’s strictly just a proposal that might never be approved or move forward

Site Plan Approval Filed:

1651228911663.png

New renderings are updated in the database! There is much project information updated in the database as well. The overall building storey count changed from 47, 21, 11 storey to 47, 21, 9 storeys. Total building heights changed from 140.26m, 16.36m & 31.05m to 151.07m, 71.15m, 38.50m. The total unit count increased from 817 units to 985 units. Finally, the total parking spaces decreased from 1584 to 1210 parking spaces.

The rendering are taken from the architectural plan via site Plan approval:

PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 27  2022-10.jpg

Attachments

• PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 27  2022-14.jpg
    PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 27 2022-14.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 201
  • PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 27  2022-18.jpg
    PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 27 2022-18.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 203
  • PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 27  2022-26.jpg
    PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 27 2022-26.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited by a moderator:
Surely those parking spaces are to replace the spots that will be lost during the construction of this plan on the current surface lots?

Back