Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

A park in this location would just become a catch-basin for undesirables.
I hear that used for putting parks, benches or anything people friendly, everywhere in this city. Is the homeless population growing at such an alarming rate that they will fill up every new public space in this city? If that's the case, maybe we should do something about it.

I hear that used for putting parks, benches or anything people friendly, everywhere in this city. Is the homeless population growing at such an alarming rate that they will fill up every new public space in this city? If that's the case, maybe we should do something about it.

Homeless people? I was sure he was talking about Toronto's huge population of lepers, or maybe the Dalit, both of whom are known to salivate (if they still have the necessary glands in the former case) over any mention of new public space. I say we just privatize everything so our lives are no longer dictated by the lowest of the low ~ the undesirables.

Why do people keep saying this? Is Queen's Park a catch-basin for undesirables?

Probably not since there is enough police presence in the area given the fact it is behind the Legislature building.

A better example is the park tucked behind college park that is often filled with undesirables or the park behind the 519.

These parks never used to have these problems. Best to try and clean up these parks before opening any more downtown.

Yes because the area in question is soooo far away from Queen's Park *sarcasm*

To my mind there's a big difference between what goes on between Queen's Park/Bay and Bay/Yonge. It likely has to do with the fact that Queen's Park/Bay is government/university area, while once you traverse Bay you get into very concentrated retail, much of which is 'lower-end.' And many of the people coming into that Yonge st. area are also likely coming from the east, which everyone knows has problematic pocket areas/streets.

Bay st. has for a long time been a buffer in downtown Toronto. So yeah, although I like the park idea, there'll be sketchies at night for sure. Although I will admit that Queen's Park has them at night, too. I just don't think as many,

The section of Yonge south of Wellesley can get pretty sketchy with street youth and Breadalbane St. used to be worse (especially at night with some pretty desperate hustlers) but seemed to magically improve when Sobey's went in. This area has had it's problems for decades. The parkette behind the YMCA on Breadalbane doesn't seem to have many problems at night, though I only pass it occasionally so maybe a well used park on this land won't have many problems either. If the whole property gets the park treatment perhaps art projects on the backs of the buildings facing Yonge would brighten up that space.

Does anyone have any experience with "pop-ups"? In particular, a pop-up park. I have gathered from sources that a simple fence removal and some actual use of the space may help persuade the powers that be that the space would be used by the community. This is all quite mischevious of course...

http://www.cbre.ca/o/torontonorth/properties/bay-wellesley-lands/Pages/property-flyer.aspx

The Bay and Wellesley Lands is now listed for sale on CBRE. The document indicates the property has abundant space to adequately phase multiple high-rise towers. Also stated is that the site currently has approval in-place for zoning of 3.5 times site density; approved for a total gross floor area of approximately 319,210 SF (approximately 290,100 SF is allocated for residential density).

Property flyer: here

Massing study showing potential development on the site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roxxstarr/7512622168/

Last edited:
yey! A full park for the site is just too much ! I do hope something interesting does go there.

Someone posted that on the Church-Wellesley Facebook page & a suggestion was that perhaps they are just putting feelers out there for what the value of the property could be. It was a different graphic though (below). I've got a feeling the Province would rather sell it and cash in on it.

at8vud1wY183.jpg

I don't mind the park idea, but it was a pretty big space and I do agree with some others on here that it'd be sketchy at night. Though I don't think either of those reasons amount to knock 'em down arguments.

Either way, I'm quite happy to see a development here.

Back