Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

this proposed park at this very site is perfect for all the crackheads who gravitate towards the area. Don't know what it is about yonge/wellesley, but there's always a bunch of crackheads floating about, and crackheads just love parks.

lol

This proposed park at this very site is perfect for all the crackheads who gravitate towards the area. Don't know what it is about Yonge/Wellesley, but there's always a bunch of crackheads floating about, and crackheads just love parks.

Yes, let's not build any new parks because crackheads will go there.

facepalm.gif

All alleys, stairwells, corners, and shady areas (trees) should also be banned because drug addicts like to hang out there. ;)

Thanks for concurring. The Opera site site isn't big enough for any kind of public park, unless someone has a vision to turn it into a Dundas Square type park/square, but since it's surrounded by condos, everyone would complain about the non-stop noise. Therefore, since it's not a Dundas Square type square/park, what would one envision there ... let's see ... some shrubs, some benches, some paved-over walkways ... ah yes, just perfect for skateboarders, they can perfect their skills off any available railings, or benches, whatnot, 24 hours a day. Maybe they can do a turnpike type triple spin off the crackheads who will be occupying any available benches, that would be cool to see on YouTube. But put a park there and expect people who live in the area to actually enjoy it, you've got to be kidding me. It'd be like tearing down the Atrium on Bay, build a park, and expect people to enjoy it along with the crackheads and suburban hoodies who would be shooting up the place on a nightly basis. Also, Allan Gardens ... perfect downtown large-sized park ... full of crackheads, homeless, alcoholics, whatnot. How many people would confess to actually enjoying Allan Gardens and wanting to gravitate there ? Not many, right ? So, that's why a park at Opera Place is kind of broadcasting crackheads and homeless, please come by and occupy.

I am not sure about this obsession with crackheads. This is the downtown core of a major city; you are bound to meet a few interesting characters, but Bay and Wellesley is by no means a bad area.

Thanks for concurring. The Opera site site isn't big enough for any kind of public park, unless someone has a vision to turn it into a Dundas Square type park/square, but since it's surrounded by condos, everyone would complain about the non-stop noise. Therefore, since it's not a Dundas Square type square/park, what would one envision there ... let's see ... some shrubs, some benches, some paved-over walkways ... ah yes, just perfect for skateboarders, they can perfect their skills off any available railings, or benches, whatnot, 24 hours a day. Maybe they can do a turnpike type triple spin off the crackheads who will be occupying any available benches, that would be cool to see on YouTube. But put a park there and expect people who live in the area to actually enjoy it, you've got to be kidding me. It'd be like tearing down the Atrium on Bay, build a park, and expect people to enjoy it along with the crackheads and suburban hoodies who would be shooting up the place on a nightly basis. Also, Allan Gardens ... perfect downtown large-sized park ... full of crackheads, homeless, alcoholics, whatnot. How many people would confess to actually enjoying Allan Gardens and wanting to gravitate there ? Not many, right ? So, that's why a park at Opera Place is kind of broadcasting crackheads and homeless, please come by and occupy.

This is sarcasm, right?

I am not sure about this obsession with crackheads. This is the downtown core of a major city; you are bound to meet a few interesting characters, but Bay and Wellesley is by no means a bad area.

Some people say toe-mah-toe, some say to-may-toe, some say Bay/Wellesley, some say Yonge/Wellesley. That park is smack in the middle of Yonge and Bay, where there are exponentially more people going to be entering that park from the Yonge side rather than the Bay side.

Just like this crack head ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGH-oKt5hlE

I'd say that most of the people using downtown parks these days are dog walkers and I doubt very many of them are on crack.

I live in the area and for obvious self interested reasons I like the idea of a park. Queen's Park is in the area but it's so isolated by the traffic on Queen's Park Cresent and the fact you need to walk up to the walkway or down to Wellesly to get across, I don't feel as though it's in my immediate neighborhood.

That being said, Wellsley needs more retail space and I'm sure the park will attrct the sketchy people who conduct their business at Yonge and Wellesley. Hopefully with all the development in the area those folks will be driven out. It really is a shame that this one part of Yonge seems to be so forgotten. I'd be in favour of anything really that helps improve this place.

There are some good statistics in here which indicate the need for additional greenspace in this neighbourhood:

April 25, 2012
The Honorable Bob Chiarelli
Minister of Infrastructure
Ministry of Infrastructure
Ferguson Block, 3rd Flr
77 Wellesley St W
Toronto ON M7A1Z

Re: Procuring 11 Wellesley Street West for a Public Park

Dear Mr. Chiarelli,

The Bay Cloverhill Community Association (BCCA) strongly recommends and wishes to support the establishment of a public park at 11 Wellesley St. West. We understand that the latest litigation agreement between Morguard and the Provincial Government has been reached and that the Ontario Government has declared the 11 Wellesley site a surplus, meaning that the government does not need it for its own purposes.

In view of this recent availability of this land for alternate purposes, we urge you to consider the needs of our rapidly growing community which is intensifying in compliance with Ontario legislation.Our community faces the following challenges:
-Park Deficient Community
-Serious Need for Public Space in BCCA Community
-Critical Reduction of Tree Canopy Losses from Development and Other Causes
-Loss of a Site Used for Public Purposes in the Past
-Need for Expansion of Public Outdoor Amenities to Accommodate the Rapid Population Growth

We ask you to review our needs and consider the following factors in order to move forward to procure this site for a provincial urban park, in a timely manner:
1) Development and density continue to grow at an accelerated pace further driving the demand for parks
-The neighbourhood is growing. In 2006 there were 10,158 residents in our Bay Cloverhill Community. In 2011 there were 11,422 residents, representing a 12.2% increase in population in the past 5 years
-There are currently 5 condominium projects currently under construction, namely, 832 Bay St., 75 St. Nicholas St., the U Condominiums on Bay St., 5t. Joseph St. and 9-21 Grenville St.
-There are 3 other potential development applications, namely 955 Bay St., 454-464 Yonge St., and 1000 Bay St. When completed, these 8 condominium projects will add an additional 4200
units to our community with a projected increase in population of 8400 residents. There would be 19,842 residents in our neighbourhood in 2016. That would represent a whopping 57.2%
increase in population in our fast-growing Bay Cloverhill neighbourhood
, all competing for parks and other amenities.

2) Our community lacks public space (parks, squares, etc) for community-based social and recreational activities
Bay Cloverhill Community is one of those in Toronto lacking in green space (under the City of Toronto Guidelines). There is no public area devoted to children and play facilities, so a large part of this park, particularly the southern end away from automobile traffic, could be devoted to this purpose. We have many families in our area which desperately need this. It would also encourage families who are thinking of moving into the neighborhood which would be a boon to the development industry, the retail environment, and the real estate industry. This area would also provide easy access to the rear entrance to the YMCA on Breadalbane Street. We have a need for more green spaces, which could be a major aspect of this park.

3) The Bay Corridor Neighbourhood has only a 7.3% tree canopy.
We have a long way to go to meet the City’s target which is about 30% tree canopy coverage. We have lost a significant amount of mature trees in the BCCA Community 2008 to 2010. During the last two years alone, we have lost the following 27 mature trees in the neighbourhood:
1. 4 street trees at Kenson Apartments at 51 Grosvenor Street
2. 6 street trees at Burano at 832 Bay Street (replacement trees have been secured but will not be planted for 2 years)
3. 1 huge private front yard tree at 45 St. Nicholas Street at Cottage Lane
4. 2 street trees at Sobey’s at 530 Yonge Street frontage on Breadalbane Street
5. 1 front yard tree at 6 Irwin Street
6. 1 street tree at 23 Charles Street West abutting the gated garden on St. Nicholas Street
7. 1 street tree at 1132 Bay Street on Charles Street West frontage (the condo corporation cut down the street tree, bricked over the street tree pit and widened the driveway curb cut)
8. 1 street tree at 593 Yonge Street (Volo) frontage on Dundonald Street
9. 3 street trees at 60 Grenville Street (Women’s College Hospital)
10. 4 trees at 90 College Street/93 Surrey Place when the parking lot on the west side of 88College Street was repaved.
11. behind Kelly Library 2 mature oak trees diameter of more than 24 inches
12. former Regis College (15 St Mary Street) one mature street tree removed by city (St. Nicholas frontage) with water main problems cited as cause.
We also have lost six huge 200 year old trees in Queen’s Park North due to damage, disease and
old age.

4) This site was previously used for community purposes and we support that it be re-designated for such purposes.
-Community Carnival: Prior to 1997, there was an annual carnival set up on the site for a short annual visit.
-The site was used for skateboarding and rollerblading
-There were plenty of seating areas so it functioned like a park

5) A park at 11 Wellesley would benefit and provide some of the following enhancements to the community at large:
-a central location to hold seasonal or theme based, city wide activities (i.e.:, farmer’s market, antique market, skating rink, tennis courts, senior's gardening program, yoga lessons, etc.)
-an age friendly community a place for our children to play
-eyes on the street to ensure safety
-green space within walking distance for both residents and area businesses
-eco-friendly, healthy and inviting living and working environment
-ecological benefits such as filtering storm water before it becomes a runoff
-rebalance of green space amidst the ever growing development

Residents of the Bay Cloverhill Community Association (BCCA) are excited at prospects of a much-needed park, nestled in the geographic heart of our neighbourhood at 11 Wellesley Street West.
We look forward to your leadership in successfully procuring this land for our new public park.

Respectfully,
Norman C. Waite
President - Bay Cloverhill Community Association (BCCA)

Cc: Glen Murray, MPP Toronto Centre
Councilor Kristyn Wong – Tam, City of Toronto, Ward 27

If they do go with a park I'd hope they at least consider developing the east and (part of the) north sides with low-rise, preferably with some retail/restaurant space facing the proposed park. I'd still rather see some high-rise development along Wellesley, but if that isn't in the cards they at least need to do something to hide the backs of the Yonge St buildings, as well as to define the boundaries of the park. Cleaning up St. Luke's Lane also seems sensible (perhaps even aligning it with St. Nicholas)

Back