Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

I hope they'll plant plenty of trees and bushes on the west side of the park so people won't have to view that hideous condo development to the west!

this really is quite a dead space in the city, and the future city. either a park or a couple of BIG buildings need to go here.

3dtoronto_3_3.jpg

I spoke to the head surveyor today. It's going to be a park. All you condo-dweebs can take your hands off.

double-facepalm.jpg

.. unless they build something like the 9/11 memorial park. what a waste of space... especially considering the entire area is pretty open to begin with.

A park would be of great value to the surrounding condos and the YMCA. Queen's Park is simply too far away and isolated by too many lanes of traffic to be an alternative (plus it seems kind of shady).

That being said, I wouldn't mind a proposal that builds on top of the western half of the site, hiding the ugly Opera Place condos, while leaving the eastern half open for a urban plaza/park. The urban texture of the backsides of the Yonge Street storefronts + the opening up of the laneway should make it a pretty happening place.

A park would be of great value to the surrounding condos and the YMCA. Queen's Park is simply too far away and isolated by too many lanes of traffic to be an alternative (plus it seems kind of shady).

I respectfully disagree that Queen's Park is too far away (it's a five minute walk from this site), nor is it "isolated" by too many lanes of traffic, nor is it shady - unless your in the park after 1 or 2am.
That said, more green space downtown is never a bad thing, but I think it's a missed opportunity for intensification. Either way, I'm personally good with it. I hope that this has been gifted to the city by the Province and that some really good thought goes into the planning of this park as it does have the potential to be decent green space.

A vital Public space on the south side, retail cafes on te north (opening onto the south side), residential hirise on the west side of the site. A big park surrounded by ugly blankfaced suburban condos could just end up being a total dead space in what should become a more vital, healthy area of the city

This proposed park at this very site is perfect for all the crackheads who gravitate towards the area. Don't know what it is about Yonge/Wellesley, but there's always a bunch of crackheads floating about, and crackheads just love parks.

Between the YMCA children's daycare and the condo's to the west, I doubt there will be much activity like that.

The smaller YMCA park currently only ever gets the occasional pothead, and you can say that of every park in the city.

On Yonge, that's a different story. But they seem to stick to Yonge.

Part of the 'draw' is that the Salvation Army's mobile food/shelter truck parks on the north side of Breadalbane in the evenings. There also used to be the Kindred Cafe on the south side, but the folks going in there did their own thing and didn't bother anyone

Im surprised that this Ontario government, that is basically broke and selling anything they can get their hands on..is going to give this land to Toronto for a park
I can see 1/3-1/2 as greenspace..the rest most likely will be sold at market value.

Im surprised that this Ontario government, that is basically broke and selling anything they can get their hands on..is going to give this land to Toronto for a park
I can see 1/3-1/2 as greenspace..the rest most likely will be sold at market value.

Yes, the idea of turning all of the site into a park in the present economic climate seems terribly optimistic - I suspect that if there is a park there it will be far less than 50% of the site.

The smaller YMCA park currently only ever gets the occasional pothead, and you can say that of every park in the city.
....hey, we are people too.....

And on a side note, this will be a perfect location for a park. despite the lost opportunity for something relatively tall, the city could always use more downtown greenspace (no pun intended)

Last edited:

Back