Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
Wellesley on the Park 
11 Wellesley St W, Toronto
Developer: Lanterra Developments

Wellesley on the Park | 194m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by Mike in TO, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Mike in TO

Mike in TO Senior Member

2. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

I've wondered what would be going in this site. It is a massive lot fenced in by plywood (major eye-sore).

9-storeys seems small for a building so close to the subway but I'll reserve judgement until I see the renderings. I just hope that the street-level retail and setbacks are designed to enhance the street. Just the smallest amount of detail and planning could really benefit Wellesley and transform the street into a really great place to be. Hopefully this development will see this potential.

3. Mike in TO

Mike in TO Senior Member

I hope the development includes something to enhance the lane at the east end of the site behind the stores along Yonge St. It is a great route all the way north to Bloor and the St. Joseph developments on the north side of Wellesley did a great job to enhance the pedestrain realm on the laneway.

4. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Senior Member

I like that laneway. However, it often smells like trash and the massive rats make for annoying walking buddies.

5. Eastside

Eastside Active Member

Yeah, it can be pretty grimey south of Wellesley. Between Wellesley and St. Joseph is really nice though. My girlfriend lives in one of the loft conversions on St. Nicholas and that whole section is quite clean and tidy. The one thing I'd like to see them implement (especially if they're going to be developing areas around the laneway further) is something to calm the traffic. Most people are considerate of the fact that there are no sidewalks but every now and then you'll get some jerk (usually a cabbie) fly through there at 50 or 60 clicks. I'm surprised they're only aiming for 9 floors though, that plot looks like it would support 50 or 60 stories easily.

6. Edward

Edward Senior Member

Perhaps the density was used up on the Bay Street part of the project. Or the folks on the northside want their views protected.

7. dt_toronto_geek

dt_toronto_geek Superstar

I wonder if there will eventually be a phase 7 & 8 condo(s) or apartment highrise fronting onto Breadalbane St. between Yonge & Bay? That's a pretty big piece of ultra prime property there for only 9 storeys & retail facing Wellesley St.

8. deerparker

deerparker Active Member

318 units in a 9 storey building? That's 35 units per floor - 40 if the first floor is retail. 10-12 units per floor of a 29 storey building sounds more reasonable. Am I missing something?

9. Conrad Black

Conrad Black Senior Member

Its a big lot. Can easily put 35 units to a floor.

10. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Senior Member

This is true but in order for them to all have windows the shape of the building might resemble something or a horsehoe or U-shape with a courtyard.

11. Blixtein

Blixtein Active Member

The nine floors will align with the podium of the other two buildings. I'm actually happy not to see a point tower at this spot.

12. jmacmillan

jmacmillan Active Member

I think this is the location for what was originally planned to be a recreational centre for the towers on Bay Street (i.e., Aria, etc.). With the downtown YMCA literally next door, go figure!

13. dt_toronto_geek

dt_toronto_geek Superstar

I bought into the Opera Place condos in 1996. As I recall the developer Goldlist had a master plan for 5 buildings on Bay and along Wellesley, townhomes on the north side of Breadalbane and two parkettes. The rec. centre for the complexes were to be in the final phase in the two buildings on Wellesley. In the end they developed two buildings (3 phases), one parkette along side & behind the YMCA and no facilities. The last building built on this property was Morguard's rental, "The Bay Club" 3 years ago.

14. Solaris

Solaris Senior Member

The (unbuilt) Ballet Opera House

transferred from the Casa thread

Thanks to sources from Filip :) ... I research more into this 'unbuilt' Ballet Opera House once proposed on these lands @ Bay + Wellesley ... would you look at that !

Canadian Architecture Collection
    http://cac.mcgill.ca/safdie/searchengines/showrecord.php?id=95

World Architecture Community
    http://www.worldarchitecture.org/world-buildings/world-buildings-detail.asp?position=detail&country=Canada&no=747

so this is what "could have" happened on these lands ~

Scaled Model
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Interior Model
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bay Street Elevation
    [​IMG]

East-West Section
    [​IMG]

Orchestra Level Floor Plan
    [​IMG]

15. androiduk

androiduk Senior Member

I believe Bob Rae is the guy who pulled the plug.