Toronto Waterworks Building Redevelopment | 47.55m | 13s | MOD Developments | Diamond Schmitt

Sat May 9, 2020

fullsizeoutput_3a7d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3a7e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3a7f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3a80.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3a81.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3a82.jpeg

Glass is better than expected so far- holding out hope for the cladding on the solid parts.

When is the YMCA expected to open? I’m so “desperate” for a pool, I’ve been considering moving to a condo with one. The CityPlace community centre was supposed to have a pool but someone was so shortsighted to exclude it “because every condo has a pool”. This YMCA will be right across from me. Hopefully soon.

The city has taken the position that public pools aren't necessary when large parts of the neighbourhood have access to a pool in their condo or apartment building. This notion ignores the social benefits of people from different walks of life using community facilities and having opportunities to interact and socialize. It also overlooks the fact that a lot of condo pools are tiny and aren't that usable.

Oh no! This is disappointing. This building just went down a notch.I wonder what sparked the change?
Is there a more detailed public doc indicating material finishes and colours? Because their watercolour renders seem to show these as grey, tough to tell because of the style.

Is there a more detailed public doc indicating material finishes and colours? Because their watercolour renders seem to show these as grey, tough to tell because of the style.
My comment comes from knowing a number of the people involved with the design of the building and having been given details at the time by more than one of them. Maybe I mistook what the design was, or maybe I'm mis-remembering it now, or maybe it has changed. Could we be getting gray wings with black centre and base? We shall see eventually, but I'd love to know if there's been a design evolution and why.

EDIT: and there's @ProjectEnd posting from the SPA docs. So, yes, that begs the question: what happened?

The city has taken the position that public pools aren't necessary when large parts of the neighbourhood have access to a pool in their condo or apartment building. This notion ignores the social benefits of people from different walks of life using community facilities and having opportunities to interact and socialize. It also overlooks the fact that a lot of condo pools are tiny and aren't that usable.

When did the City take that position?

My comment comes from knowing a number of the people involved with the design of the building and having been given details at the time by more than one of them. Maybe I mistook what the design was, or maybe I'm mis-remembering it now, or maybe it has changed. Could we be getting gray wings with black centre and base? We shall see eventually, but I'd love to know if there's been a design evolution and why.

EDIT: and there's @ProjectEnd posting from the SPA docs. So, yes, that begs the question: what happened?

Does somebody know how bound developers are by the materials indicated in their SPA submissions?

Like do they have to ask the City for permission to subsitute? Is there a degree of changes allowed? What happens if the materials do not confirm at all?

I am curious because I am not familiar with the system.

When did the City take that position?

I recall it was discussed in certain planning reports about 5 years ago. The writers of the reports said it was beneficial to have developers build pools and a lot of amenities in their buildings so that the city didn't have to spend as much on community amenities.

Back