Toronto Waterworks Building Redevelopment | 47.55m | 13s | MOD Developments | Diamond Schmitt

TBH all of the recent proposals in the area are pretty great (simple in many cases but that isn't a bad thing)

This, ACE, 543 Richmond, 123 Portland, 445 Adelaide, Rush, 135 Portland and the Magna hotels are all great fabric buildings that are helping to connect Queen West and King West. The area is going to have a really interesting character once everything is completed.

...plus BIG King West, which is going to provide a great view terminus down Brant and I think draw people down to King (along with Brant St. improvements -- is that plan still a thing?). Also, it's been complete for a while now of course, not worth mentioning that Brant Park is excellent, and Impact Kitchen and its patio right at Brant and Adelaide are really solid contributors to the trend you've identified.

A61B5B32-5439-4502-BF53-867B2EFDB55A.jpeg
914B5634-9296-4CAF-872A-074861307B99.jpeg
8AEDD630-657A-4D88-9C21-39EF926B6253.jpeg

An image of the north side showing parts of floors 3-8. March 22, 2020.

IMG_0580.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

If you look closely, you can see that the bricks have subtle variations in colour that might be quite beautiful if they're cleaned up and restored. There's even what looks like a yellow-lime green brick towards the top middle of this photo.

The colours seem to have darkened with weather and pollution, but they could be quite vibrant. A lot of old facades in the city have some amazing colours in the original brickwork that can be restored. For instance, the Symes Road Destructor's brick facade looked dark brown and dour pre-restoration. Restoration revealed the original vibrant combination of red and yellow bricks that looks quite sharp.

This thing is massive. Hope the details turn out well. Will be exciting to see it finish up.

I think this project is second only to the Well in terms of the impact it will have on its immediate surroundings. Between the park refresh, YMCA community facilities, food hall and heritage building revitalization, there is lots to look forward to.

I'm really interested in how the market will turn out. I recently visited Lisbon's Time Out Market and it was a great atmosphere, seemed like a place for visitors and locals. I could see this market being a smaller version of that.

I've been thinking about both Copenhagen's Torvehallerne to that end, where they really nailed both the indoor-outdoor thing and the right mix of independent and small local chain retailers.

1585863309749.png

Source

1585863365854.png
\
Source

I'm really interested in how the market will turn out. I recently visited Lisbon's Time Out Market and it was a great atmosphere, seemed like a place for visitors and locals. I could see this market being a smaller version of that.
I've been thinking about both Copenhagen's Torvehallerne to that end, where they really nailed both the indoor-outdoor thing and the right mix of independent and small local chain retailers.
Both of those (and others) were used as inspiration / case studies for this one.

Back