Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

cool Jenga condos ~

nonetheless, while I like Pier 27's first 2 towers, I'm not sure if I really like these latter 3 towers, the morphing geometry may be just a bit too much ... it would be nice if towers 3+4+5 related better (in design sense) to towers 1+2

I'm just curious... what are the examples in New York?

It all started in NYC with this...

New Museum of Contemporary Art
deu1ky.jpg

http://soulofamerica.com/soagalleries/nyc/museum/NYC-NewMuseum-DKaufman.jpg

Meh. Been there. Done that. Started in NYC. Spread around the world. Now in Toronto. Whatever.

'Meh'? Sorry you're bored bored by this, Condovo. Me, I do not understand the mentality that wants every single building to be completely unprecedented. I find it exasperating as it simply cannot happen with any regularity. The truth is that there is nothing quite like this in Toronto, and that most people in Toronto won't know anything about the other examples. In our context this will be somewhat radical and eye-catching.

Of course there are some Toronto buildings, extant and in development - other aA designs particularly - that lead towards this. Spire's south and east balconies are not completely parallel to the walls they cantilever from, but they are so close that it's barely noticeable. The next two towers at the Distillery will have angled and dented balconies, and Market Wharf will push the angles even more and get into the rhythm shown in the designs below...

but none of those projects show such pronounced use of angles, and none feel quite so playful to me as this one does (not that I don't like them). These three new buildings all approach the theme with their own variation, and I appreciate that too. The big question, for me, is the one that Solaris asks: how well will these relate to the earlier phases? For me these renders do not have quite enough information to make a definiteve pronouncement on that.

Anyway, to make it easier for everyone:

Pier27NewPhases.jpg

Pier27NewPhasesGroundLevel.jpg

Pier27NewPhasesCloseUp.jpg

Pier27Site.jpg

Pier27Situation.jpg

EDIT - and I hope the rezoning goes through for the 35 storey point tower: this height will help make the whole project relate better to hotel and condos to its west.

Last edited:
EDIT - and I hope the rezoning goes through for the 35 storey point tower: this height will help make the whole project relate better to hotel and condos to its west.

I would think so..love the wild design of these buildings, it will definitely be an iconic development on our waterfront. Now if we can only get rid or re-clad the Toronto Star building.

Currently, Clewes is working a tower for the Toronto waterfront — “that’s going to have enormous balconies” — that will use a special structural system not used in the city for a long time. “It allows you to do enormous cantilevers to create what will really be outdoor rooms.”

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/outdoor...ces-in-the-sky

I'm assuming this is part of East Bayfront/ WDL... not Pier 27. Because I don't see impressive cantilevers here... I just see boredom in the above renderings.

With the above quote, I was hoping for something along the lines of a tower, with large sections that jut out from the side, a la Woonzorgcomplex in Amsterdam:
tr_amsterdam_woonzorgcomplex_oklahoma_560x350_tcm484-143032.jpg

IS this really done by aA? I must say, I am enthralled by their radicality incorporated into this setting as opposed to their previous ho-hums with NXT, and that awful one they did Distillery.

Okay. Good points, interchange42. I just wish precedents happened here for a change. Is that too much to ask? What would it take? I mean, Toronto's ranked as +/- the 10th most important city in the world right now so what's the deal?

Okay, and I concur with that sentiment.

On one hand I am just glad that some experimentation is taking place here, on the other I wish more trailblazing were going on here too. I continue to hope that Absolute World, as it grows, will become too prominent for any local builder to ignore: I am certain that it will become quite famous, and sought after. At some point developer X will try something as daring in Toronto, and the race will be underway.

In the meantime, as we inch forward, I'm happy we're going forward. By some stoke of fate we live could live in (uh, who to offend?), Detroit. Count your blessings.

Okay, and I concur with that sentiment.

On one hand I am just glad that some experimentation is taking place here, on the other I wish more trailblazing were going on here too. I continue to hope that Absolute World, as it grows, will become too prominent for any local builder to ignore: I am certain that it will become quite famous, and sought after. At some point developer X will try something as daring in Toronto, and the race will be underway.42

Absolute World is great ... but unfortunately it can be easily ignored since it is in Mississauga.

Back