Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

it may be a condo, but it ain't run of the mill, imo....

agreed.

and if they have a good public amenity space along the yonge side and ground-floor retail on the later phases adjacent to queen's quay, it could still be a vibrant area.

clewes also talks about these towers as framing the views to the water. i can guarantee we'll see a lot of photos involving these towers.

this project is more exciting than corus and they're "just condos." (although, it's not difficult to be more exciting than corus)

Framing the views toward the water? He said that? That's incredibly disingenuous. There's an amenities complex on the ground floor between the two buildings, which will block most or all of the views of the water.

I don't care about a Rabba on Queens Quay. I want public space along the water that's bigger than a 30 foot wide walkway to nowhere. And I want public uses along the water to actually attract people other than condo owners.

^ You don't seem to know yourself what that would be.

Provide us with some examples of what secifically you'd prefer to go there and if there could be a viable business plan for it.

In the middle of a major city, no people around is a success? Well, that's pretty perverse logic. If you want peace and quiet, there are thousands of lakes across the province. You could even take the GO Train or bus just outside the city, and find lots of wonderful peaceful spots along the lake. In the middle of the city, though, one would hope that the waterfront would be built to attract the city's residents. Would you think Queen or Yonge were great successes if they were bereft of people?

Oh, and I didn't say Vancouver. I said Sydney or Barcelona. There are many other examples. Even places like Stockholm and Helsinki, and their waterfronts are hardly as picturesque as Lake Ontario.

Groan. Now we're getting into vague "my waterfront promenade is wider than your puny little 30 foot waterfront promenade" / "yeah but my waterfront promenade is longer than your waterfront promenade" territory ... without giving examples of why a wider promenade is better.

How wide does it have to be, U2, and why?

Anyhow, Pier27 is joined to public space - along the Quay, and next to the lake as an extension of the existing promenade. More people will live near the water. From the Quay there will be views between the buildings to the water - the design takes full advantage of the possibilities afforded by a large lot by allowing several of the buildings to be raised and "floated" like OCAD.

In the middle of a major city, no people around is a success? Well, that's pretty perverse logic. If you want peace and quiet, there are thousands of lakes across the province. You could even take the GO Train or bus just outside the city, and find lots of wonderful peaceful spots along the lake. In the middle of the city, though, one would hope that the waterfront would be built to attract the city's residents. Would you think Queen or Yonge were great successes if they were bereft of people?

Don't even need to take a GO Train or bus - just take the ferry to Hanan's Point or Ward's Island.

There were many ideas earlier about appropriate additional uses earlier, Metroman, so your comment is a bit harsh. Restaurants and cafes were one idea, another would be to adjust the green spaces to provide some more room for public interactive installations, like some of those planned in one of the Jarvis Slip proposals (otherwise, tell us, why we need an exclusive condo with a small public space that will likely be percieved as a condo amenity and not open to the public).

Restaurants and cafes were one idea, another would be to adjust the green spaces to provide some more room for public interactive installations, like some of those planned in one of the Jarvis Slip proposals (otherwise, tell us, why we need an exclusive condo with a small public space that will likely be percieved as a condo amenity and not open to the public).

I'd like to see something like that as well. You'd think we would have learned by now - we have the vibrant Harbourfront area, and then immediately to the east of York street are those condo towers and then right next to those is the horrible Harbour Castle. The deadening effect of these buildings is incredible, and Pier 27, despite its much better look, will do little to change that. However, as long as the rest of Queensquay along the east bayfront is developed to be pedestrian friendly and with public attractions, this can be overcome. Let's just hope it happens that way. So far so grim.

Before there can be restaurants and cafes, there have to be businesses and people living in the area to make those things viable. To somehow deem this specific project as being a failure is very premature. The amount of waterfront land is immense, and its uses will be varied.

It's worth remembering that this site borders an industrial property: for the time being, the walk south from Queens Quay beside the slip, and then east along the Harbour's edge will be a dead end at the sugar shack.

I'm not mentioning that so as to excuse a lack of over-the-top attractions along this stretch of lake, but it just might be that Tate & Lyle is there for the long term. That may mean that this bit of waterfront will remain a quiet area in front of the condos, primarily for boat owners to access their vessels which seemed to be moored in Pier 27's videos, and that future mainline east-west recreational pedestrian traffic along here may continue along Queens Quay to whatever gets built to the east. As long as the sugar stays where it is, this area will likely be a quiet cul-de-sac on the water.

Back