Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

The fact that everyone is agreeing for once deserves a celebration of its own. ...and then a second celebration if this is built!

I wouldn't say everyone is agreeing. I'm sure there is a certain somebody here crying over the lack of red brick...

The whole point of the shape of this project is that it provides an archway/gateway to Sugar Beach. It makes sense for its site.

Corus could have been more visually engaging, no doubt, but the idea that you can just pick up a building designed for one site and it will work on another...

Of course you can't just plop this design onto the Corus site given the context - what I am referring to is the sense of excitement that Corus should had, along the lines of this proposal.

AoD

Tbh, I'm not as impressed as I should be.. Why? Well, this was exactly what I envisioned for the East Bayfronts. Instead, we got corporate econotecture and cold, soulless condos.

Either way, this is great. Too bad it's too little too late (and probably has no chance of going ahead in any sort of relevant timeline).

I would be cautious about this one, there was a design competition for this building and this was likely just one of many entries.

I'm confused at the point of business plan of this building - is it just an attempt to create an innovation cluster on the waterfront (with taxbreaks?). I'm not passing judgement here - New York city uses tax breaks all the times to attract businesses to certain areas - just wondering if that's the case here.

Yeah, I don't really get it either. Does WT or TPLC currently own the land? And is this a public project that will be leased-out after it's completed; or sold?

I share the same question as pw20 - this is not another "MaRs" is it? Wait til that gets into the papers get on that...

Not sure whether it will involve loans from/backed by the government. Keep in mind that the TEDCO Corus Quay project actually made money for the city.

AoD

Not sure whether it will involve loans from/backed by the government. Keep in mind that the TEDCO Corus Quay project actually made money for the city.

AoD

Though we/the city knew that 'Project Symphony' involved a lead tenant, therefore had no risk. It likely could have gone through even without city backing. MaRS on the other hand, was built on speculation, and couldn't/wouldn't have been built had the government not stepped in to back the loan. (Stupid move in hindsight)

If the project is guaranteed to be leased once built, it would make sense for the city to follow the same route as Corus Quay. Otherwise, I don't think it makes sense for the city to be involved.

Though we/the city knew that 'Project Symphony' involved a lead tenant, therefore had no risk. It likely could have gone through even without city backing. MaRS on the other hand, was built on speculation, and couldn't/wouldn't have been built had the government not stepped in to back the loan. (Stupid move in hindsight)

If the project is guaranteed to be leased once built, it would make sense for the city to follow the same route as Corus Quay. Otherwise, I don't think it makes sense for the city to be involved.

Tend to agree - government involvement with real estate developments are also a bit of a mixed bag, at best.

AoD

Back