Toronto Verve Danforth | 42.6m | 10s | Tawse | Sweeny &Co

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
2494 DANFORTH AVE
Ward 31 - Tor & E.York District

►View All Properties

Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment application to redevelop the site with a 7/10-storey (11,441m2) retirement home that incorporates retail uses on the first and second floors, and a 4-storey (1571m2) rental apartment building

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 17 278384 STE 31 OZ Dec 21, 2017 Under Review

Subject to the details, interesting proposal for a site that would greatly benefit from redevelopment.

Currently has medical offices on floor #2, for a portion of the site, along with both ground-level (covered) and roof level parking.

Given precedents in the area, I find 10 floors pushing the limits of what might be approved, though, were setbacks used properly, its not an unreasonable ask.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a redevelopment of the Sobey's site across the street, (hopefully retaining a supermarket); as it has 2 rather under-utilized parking lots, its one-storey and no architectural gem, and a bit of a streetscape deadener.

Something mid-rise with limited, underground parking, a new supermarket and complimentary retail would be very welcome.

Subject to the details, interesting proposal for a site that would greatly benefit from redevelopment.

Currently has medical offices on floor #2, for a portion of the site, along with both ground-level (covered) and roof level parking.

Given precedents in the area, I find 10 floors pushing the limits of what might be approved, though, were setbacks used properly, its not an unreasonable ask.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a redevelopment of the Sobey's site across the street, (hopefully retaining a supermarket); as it has 2 rather under-utilized parking lots, its one-storey and no architectural gem, and a bit of a streetscape deadener.

Something mid-rise with limited, underground parking, a new supermarket and complimentary retail would be very welcome.
I agree....there will need to be major setbacks for a 10 storey building to be approved here (especially to the northwest). I'm excited to see the full application.

According to the Planning Rationale, this is a proposed Verve Senior Living Community:
upload_2017-12-29_20-20-59.png

upload_2017-12-29_20-21-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-29_20-20-59.png
    upload_2017-12-29_20-20-59.png
    969.9 KB · Views: 1,534
  • upload_2017-12-29_20-21-43.png
    upload_2017-12-29_20-21-43.png
    797.5 KB · Views: 1,437
My money's on spandrelly dreck up top, but the materiality and splashes of colour on the first few floors look promising. And that Shoppers will not be missed.

The overall design of the retirement home is consistent with City comments received to date and the settlement plans that were presented to the LPAT in December 2019. The proposed development will support a total GFA of 12,431.2m2, including 923.5m2 of retail, 1,041.4m2 of indoor amenity space, 10,466.3m2 of residential GFA supporting 47 memory-care and assisted living rooms and 99 seniors living suites.

3wtfrw.JPG
gerwd.JPG
3wfra.JPG
jhetwe.JPG
qw3qas.JPG

The massing looks fairly reasonable from those drawings. If the material composition ends up well executed then this could be a decent addition to the Main Street & Danforth area.

I think this is a very reasonable development for this site. With the Tribute building and the Danny project started some new life coming to the area.

Back