Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

Not a lot has happened recently here, but earlier in the month quite a bit took shape. I pass this one most days on my walk home, and it's true that it's slow moving and often I don't see people on site but there was a bit of a spurt on the podium a couple weeks back. I remember being surprised.
Yes, I noticed that too. I walk past this place a few times a week.

iRn0UIlbmIj9x.JPG

ieaiPGjlgUiuT.JPG

iwbIMz0CC2aJa.JPG

ibiTTsp12dcCuY.JPG

Man I hate the roof structure they have planned for this place. What is with all those flat roof designs everyone is building. It's literally like building a flat ceiling over the top of the city as opposed to something letting more light down and giving the building an elevated look. Reminds me of a cheap 1970's bungalow :/

I think I'm one of the few that thinks that it's going to turn out decent and it's a nice break from a boring glass box. I appreciate the pre-cast and colour choices here. Plus, the restoration of the historic buildings looks great. Again, I'm in the minority.

You can see in Jack's pics from yesterday how the podium will rise to just where the fire escapes are on the HNR building (and where the previous building was located) and then the tower should have a little breathing room to rise from here. How can you not love a building with fire escapes?

Last edited:
Agreed the restorations do look good, hopefully that is a good omen. The renderings are so vague, I think this might be one of those instances where we are pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

On a side note I really like the old west graffiti art used as a mural on part of the hoarding. Why can't we see more of that on hoarding rather than a mural painted by the grade 6 class. There are so many underused artists in this city who would be willing to make temporary installations for as little money as the grade 6 class.

I am absolutely dreading this tower. How D+S are revered within the Toronto civic establishment is beyond me.

In my opinion they do a real nice job with civic buildings, performing arts buildings etc. They have a very clean, pared-back almost utilitarian look.... and this is exactly what i'm not excited about here. I'd like to see something a little edgier, a little more 'rock and roll' at the Dundas Square location.

I do agree that a clean tower and street presence is the right approach, given the 'jumble' of pre-existing fabric that surrounds the site, but I feel the crown is where a statement is needed. It is such a prominent position that the polite non-crown on offer is such a wasted opportunity for this context.

In my opinion they do a real nice job with civic buildings, performing arts buildings etc. They have a very clean, pared-back almost utilitarian look.... and this is exactly what i'm not excited about here. I'd like to see something a little edgier, a little more 'rock and roll' at the Dundas Square location.

I do agree that a clean tower and street presence is the right approach, given the 'jumble' of pre-existing fabric that surrounds the site, but I feel the crown is where a statement is needed. It is such a prominent position that the polite non-crown on offer is such a wasted opportunity for this context.

I agree with you. At this location, I don't mind this tower being a bit usual looking, even controversial. Even an ugly tower is better than a forgettable tower at Dundas Square. How about some color, not beige that mingles it with the background? How about some dramatic contrast with what is below? The rendering is simply too safe, like the designer makes every effort not to attract any attention.

I don't mind it being twice as tall either, but that won't happen.

green accents like the ones on the restored portion of the HNR buildings would be neat. Agreed some sort of crown would be nice. If they didn't want to go with anything too modern and flashy maybe more intricate set backs as a crown would be nice. I guess we will see.

Personally I agree that Dundas square deserves something bold, loud and different, even if ugly.

Last edited:
IMG_20150420_152518362.jpg

IMG_20150420_152533830.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150420_152518362.jpg
    IMG_20150420_152518362.jpg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 1,496
  • IMG_20150420_152533830.jpg
    IMG_20150420_152533830.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,475

Back