Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

^Well he does raise a good point. It's like each successive building that gets built around Yonge-Dundas Square gets worse and worse in design and quality. This building simply builds upon that trend.

Of course this building is ... aweful. No question about it. What I am saying is, these kind of buildings are practically everywhere in downtown, and there is no reason to be particularly offended by it. Is there anything that's worth looking at nearby? 10 Dundas East? Atrium on Bay? That dreadful OMNI TV building? 277 Victoria? Bond Hotel? YD Square itself? 1 Dundas? ALL of them are either boring or ugly. "velocity" doesn't exactly stand out as an eyesore, does it? Or we can walk along Dundas toward east or west, and see if there is tall building that can be considered better than this one? None.

Of course it is a waste opportunity for this location, but I am afraid even a spectacular master piece can't save this dreadful intersection.

First, Boring and ugly are two different things. Second, none of those building take cheap window wall with awful colours to the level of Velocity. Third, I don't care if this is by Dundas Square or Cityplace. It definitely stands out as an eyesore compared to just about any tower that has gone up in the downtown area.

honestly, this building looks more or less like a typical toronto tower. on the plus side, toronto may have generic-to-ugly buildings, but the current boom in the mid/low end of the market is a major investment in the long term prosperity of the city. these cheapo towers do a lot over the years to keep the city affordable and viable as an economic center. really, the city could use 100-200 more towers like this spread all around the pre-mike harris city of toronto, particularly given the poor transit.

Today:
IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

I tried to get an unflattering view. I think I succeeded.
IMG_1870.jpg

No amount of green would do those people at the square any good in looking at this.

Attachments

• IMG_1855.jpg
    IMG_1855.jpg
    974.7 KB · Views: 1,729
  • IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,756
  • IMG_1853.jpg
    IMG_1853.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,694
  • IMG_1870.jpg
    IMG_1870.jpg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 1,699
  • IMG_1866.jpg
    IMG_1866.jpg
    935.8 KB · Views: 1,678
They really should try to install electronic bill boards all the way up and down those blank walls that are facing YD Square. It would really be in keeping with the "Times Square-esque" ethos. It would also be a source of advertising revenue for the landlords.

They really should try to install electronic bill boards all the way up and down those blank walls that are facing YD Square. It would really be in keeping with the "Times Square-esque" ethos. It would also be a source of advertising revenue for the landlords.

And it would blind us to what's holding up those signs.

Back