Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

35 stories too small? We must have 50 stories! Nay, 75 stories! 750 stories! More, I say!

Actually, 35 is just about perfect for that spot.

And I really like the D&S design above. I think Yonge has suffered enough curvy bland G&C schlock already.

(But what *really* needs to go to complete the Square's descent into its entertaining brand of hell is the replacement of the Hard Rock Cafe with something of equivalant mass and awfulness to TLS.)

I would agree that 50 storeys would be a good height. If it's fine for the Distillery then it should be fine here. I'd say go as tall as possible.

I'm excited for this project, even though it will partially block my view from Pantages. Victoria Street needs a lot of work, but so much is planned for the stretch between Dundas Sq. and Shuter.

The building under construction on Yonge Street directly across the laneway from the application site is being consistently worked on. The house facade is just a shell, and a new basement and at-grade slab have been poured behind it. I've very curious to see whether this new building uses Yonge Street as an entrance.

The parking lot next to the Senator and behind Mackenzie House is another opportunity. I hope the City gets smart and connects tourist central at Dundas Square to Mackenzie House somehow.

Do you know what section of the star this notice of application is in?

And I really like the D&S design above. I think Yonge has suffered enough curvy bland G&C schlock already.

really ???? maybe its just me but I cant think of any other project or existing building that has a curved vertical face in this city. 'L' Tower is curved vertically but it certainly aint schlock. Please enlighten me with examples... what about the exessive boxy schlock we are drowning in? The D + S design has no face or personality to it. Atleast with the G + C design we get the 'profile' of a face from Dundas Square. And the somewhat whimsical design is wonderfullly suited to the pop-media theme of the square.

I think its quite unusual that competing designs become available to the public, no? In this case it creates very fertile ground for debate on which design is superior....

an ultimatum: If the D & S design wins, I quit this forum and look for accomodation in another city!

really ???? maybe its just me but I cant think of any other project or existing building that has a curved vertical face in this city.

The 90s reno of 100 University?

an ultimatum: If the D & S design wins, I quit this forum and look for accomodation in another city!

I can understand if it's D&S vs Gehry or Calatrava or Hadid. I can't if it's D&S vs G&C...

100 University

well, i'll give you a few points for the effort, but that curved element is only that - a design element occupying only a portion of one wall. What I like about the G&C design is that the curve follows the entire profile of the building, curving away from the street as it gets higher. No doubt the quality of the render is inferior to the D&S render... I can see past that though. It would be interesting to see multiple angles of both including the main entrance at street level.

syn: Word obviously hasn't reached you yet, but the Distillery condos aren't 50 storeys.

But they were at one point.

A 50+ storey tower would be the perfect signpost to the new context evolving in the Yonge-Dundas area :p.

I'm sure at that height it would create a sliver of shadow over some neglected ashphault parkette at 4:00pm during the third week of September every other year, so the city would have no choice but to limit it to 35 storeys.

well if we want this building to be taller then we should let the city councilor for this area of the city know that the public doesn't agree with height of the building. We should remind them that this is the entertainment capital of Toronto and Canada and that we should go BIG! Also does anyone mind posting the two different proposals?

really ???? maybe its just me but I cant think of any other project or existing building that has a curved vertical face in this city. 'L' Tower is curved vertically but it certainly aint schlock. Please enlighten me with examples... what about the exessive boxy schlock we are drowning in?

Not an existing tower, but the Widmer and Adeliade proposal by Daniels will curve vertically (if approved) - the renderings look very different from anything Daniels has done before - it has a concave vertical facade facing onto Adelaide.

Not an existing tower, but the Widmer and Adeliade proposal by Daniels will curve vertically (if approved) - the renderings look very different from anything Daniels has done before - it has a concave vertical facade facing onto Adelaide.

And where might one find these renders?

Back