Vaughan Vaughan Centre PwC Tower/YMCA/Library | 49.98m | 9s | SmartCentres | Diamond Schmitt

E5192E09-147A-4DE7-9A7D-B33D9AF01A05.jpeg

Attachments

• E5192E09-147A-4DE7-9A7D-B33D9AF01A05.jpeg
    E5192E09-147A-4DE7-9A7D-B33D9AF01A05.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 1,923
When will this building be officially complete? I've been looking forward for the YMCA opening and I'm getting desperate for a gym close by for a while lol

I'd also like to know what's wrong up close. Based on those pix, it looks far better than most projects we see here on UT. The detailing is excellent.

I'm wondering if what's at issue for AlexBozikovic is ideological rather than design-related, ie, what VMC stands for along the suburban/urban divide as opposed to how it looks.

Last edited:
Really? what's weak about it up close and personal? I quite like it. the detailing isn't exactly lacking.

The detailing actually is not great, particularly on the condos. But the bigger problem is a failing common to new neighbourhoods. In short: the architecture good in pictures but feels unpleasant to walk around. The blocks are uncomfortably large. The ground levels of the buildings aren't broken up. The materials are unfriendly: lots of fully glazed walls, many of them double-height; lots of aluminum panel and what looks like cement board. Almost everything is grey.

This YMCA building is the best so far - I like the gold aluminum and the masonry - but those elements of colour and texture are totally absent in the rest of the block.

Basically, Jan Gehl would hate all of this.

Back