Vaughan Vaughan Centre PwC Tower/YMCA/Library | 49.98m | 9s | SmartCentres | Diamond Schmitt

I'm enjoying the contrast between the big-box Future Shop / Home Sense plaza and a Foster-designed subway station. It speaks to the rapid movement toward urbanization in the suburbs of large Canadian cities.
It's actually a "Hone Outfitters" according to their ill maintained sign.

When Best Buy closed down their Future Shops, they had a contractor go to all the closed stores to remove the signs, during the time when the east side of this particular store was inaccessible. So they just left it there.

When Best Buy closed down their Future Shops, they had a contractor go to all the closed stores to remove the signs, during the time when the east side of this particular store was inaccessible. So they just left it there.

Fascinating. So when you go to downtown Toronto, you can see vintage signs like the Sam the Record Man sign. When you go to downtown Vaughan, you can see vintage signs like the Future Shop sign.

Fascinating. So when you go to downtown Toronto, you can see vintage signs like the Sam the Record Man sign. When you go to downtown Vaughan, you can see vintage signs like the Future Shop sign.

So what you are saying is that we should preserve the future shop sign as a historical element. I suggest it be placed on the side of the YMCA building.

Vaughan instantly would have its own Dundas Square.

So what you are saying is that we should preserve the future shop sign as a historical element. I suggest it be placed on the side of the YMCA building.

Vaughan instantly would have its own Dundas Square.
God forbid we save the original sign, since its state is beyond repair. They need to create a new sign that respects the character of the original, but not an exact copy of the original. I suggest removing some of the letters (specifically "ture")

Today, the Home Outfitters store has plastered dozens of "Store Closing" signs on all the glass panes of its front entrances. They also put up laser-printed signs saying washrooms are for customers only.

wonder what Smartcentres is going to do with it. I believe the next phase will be the southwest corner of Jane and Portage parkway, but after that, perhaps they are going to move to the Home Outfitters store.

wonder what Smartcentres is going to do with it. I believe the next phase will be the southwest corner of Jane and Portage parkway, but after that, perhaps they are going to move to the Home Outfitters store.
wrecking-ball-crane-heavy-machinery-vector-id635800860

Back