Markham The Vanguard | ?m | 27s | Devron Developments | Kirkor Architects

jaycola

Member Bio
Reaction score
7089 Yonge Street (Thornhill/Markham, 22s)

I just drove by the site and noticed a Zoning/Official plan amendment on the site. Presently a strip mall with offices above and adjacent to a Kia dealership, there is an application to permit one Tower of 22 stories plus 8 three story Live/Work townhomes. This is just south of the World on Yonge site.

Site on Google Maps

Edit*
I misread the sign and have included a photo of it. It is just one tower and only 21 Floors plus a mechanical on the 22nd floor.

Here is the Application Notice
5812686355_9fd4174954_b.jpg

Last edited:
It looks a bit fugly from the renderings, but I'm glad to see more density along Yonge in Markham.

ynorth.jpg

ysouth.jpg

Very banal, suburban architecture. The podium is as boring and depressing as it gets with a lackluster subby symetrical tower.
Please get rid of that pyramid window shape over the entrance on west elevation, we're not in 1986 anymore. Give it teal windows and yellow brick and it will complete the 80's/90's theme.
The townhouses are ok.

I love the style of these condo buildings. Half window and stone facade instead of all glass. They look more durable for this climate. Too bad most of these condos are being built outside of the downtown area. Love to see more of these buildings in the city center.

I like the street-scape and use of precast. Let's hope they don't ruin the retail by offering 200 sq ft retail condos that are useless for anything but cell phone cases or eye glasses.
The World on Yonge retail makes Aura look like a success.

It looks less like One Saint Thomas and more like the Tridel condos near Burnhamthorpe and the 427 to me.

West Village? I remember at the time those condos were proposed, many people here compared them to One St. Thomas and suggested that they were intended to be (poor) imitations of it. This project indeed looks more like West Village but only because it's also a cheap rip-off of One St. Thomas.

LOL I think this looks more like a cheap rip-off of West Village ... one step further down

This building is going after LEED Gold certification, so while the architecture may not be everybody's cup of tea, I don't think that cheap rip-off is exactly what's happening here. Our first front page story is up here.

Back