Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Already tweeted direct link to the above forum post which links directly to this thread. So Metrolinx'll read the replies, too. It's easy mods to existing signs (e.g. applying white stickers) ... I'm sure there's nearly-unamious agreement as almost everyone I asked, agrees on better separation between left/right halves.

Metrolinx does read their tweets and does the "essential/cheap items" rather quickly if they have direct control.
- They removed a forgotten "no parking" sign at Aldershot (my tweet, Metrolinx replied!) after a parking lot expansion
- They fixed a malfunctioning videoboard at Long Branch (my tweet).
...all because I tweeted to them!

As for further photoshopped mockups, I'll do some more tomorrow based on your forum suggestions (hint: Metrolinx, keep checking this thread daily, pass this thread around your office!). So, quick, fire your wayfinding suggestions away! Ideally, they should be quick cheap modifications of the existing signs. Redesigns are welcome for brainstorming (though I may not have enough time to photoshop those mockups, and Metrolinx may take longer/never for difficult suggestions).

(Yes, I like Suggestion D; the curves remind me of the "GO" logo)

Last edited:
Spent my lunch break exploring the new concourse. Wow.. Words cannot begin to describe what a change this is (and I made a point to visit the Bay Concourse first in order to familiarize myself with its grossness...) After years of using it I finally realized what it reminds me of.. McDonald's outlets when I was a kid in the 90s. All brown and plastic.

I'm still completely unclear on how the full renovations will tie the spaces together, but I'm sure I'll be impressed (if my wows walking through the York Concourse are any indication).

It'd be interesting to see Metrolinx' wayfinding guidelines. If something is behind the viewer, is it mentioned at all on a sign?

I'm not entirely sure where that sign we've been discussing is, but from the way the stripes on the floor are, I think the photographer was facing east (since Platform 3 is to the left). Should there be indications for handicapped access for other platforms as well? The 3 at the left could be on a blue background since Platform 3 is the handicapped access to the bus station...

Part of the reason why the wayfinding may be such a mess right now is because the reno is only ~1/3rd completed. A lot of the access points between the concourses are either the old ones (likely in inconvenient locations for easy wayfinding and passenger flow), or temporary ones. I'm sure when getting somewhere doesn't involve going through two hallways that are boarded up and then making a left up a set of temporary stairs, the wayfinding signage will improve as a result.

Agreed completely but this also means that Metrolinx has an opportunity to take feedback from this early stage and then incorporate it into the final signage when that signage is put up.

Two questions:

1)After Pan-Am, when the Bay Concourse is set to begin renovation, can someone tell me what is the proposed walking path from the GO Trains to the TTC station?

2)On an unrelated note, whats the deal with the exterior glass roof above the GO trains? It seems like it covers about 20% of the length of the train, and it doesn't look like anything else is set to cover the remainder - is this by design or was the original design aborted due to cost/schedule?

Two questions:

1)After Pan-Am, when the Bay Concourse is set to begin renovation, can someone tell me what is the proposed walking path from the GO Trains to the TTC station?

2)On an unrelated note, whats the deal with the exterior glass roof above the GO trains? It seems like it covers about 20% of the length of the train, and it doesn't look like anything else is set to cover the remainder - is this by design or was the original design aborted due to cost/schedule?

1) I assume it will be through the moat, Great Hall and/or Platform 3

2) Apparently the dank shed is 'heritage' and as such some of it has to be retained.

1) I assume it will be through the moat, Great Hall and/or Platform 3

2) Apparently the dank shed is 'heritage' and as such some of it has to be retained.

It will be extremely unfortunate to lose the mostly-inside path (only having to cross the moat) to get to the TTC, if that's what you are saying. What is Platform 3?

Regarding the train shed, I found this - is the green roof still the plan? What is the schedule for that to be installed?

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2014/06/progress-union-stations-new-atrium-and-shed-replacement

It will be extremely unfortunate to lose the mostly-inside path (only having to cross the moat) to get to the TTC, if that's what you are saying.
Until 2017 :( .... Then TTC-Union becomes much better!

Platform 3 is the northmost platform at Union, against the brick wall. It is the sheltered walkway to GO bus station, and extends all the way to Skywalk/UPX, with connections to both concourses. Platform 3 is a little known quick cross-Union-station shortcut..... shhhh; commuter secret!

However, I think Metrolinx will put up a covered walkway to keep commuters dry in the moat-lengthwise walk to the center Great Hall entrance, then walking eastwarss, you now have a direct stairway to the new concourse.
Or just use the Bay teamways, I believe both east/west remains open.

Last edited:
However, I think Metrolinx will put up a covered walkway to keep commuters dry in the moat-lengthwise walk to the center Great Hall entrance, then walking eastwarss, you now have a direct stairway to the new concourse.
Or just use the Bay teamways, I believe both east/west remains open.
On one hand that would make sense. On the other hand, the west Bay teamway is already pretty packed with people walking down Bay Street. If all the subway traffic gets diverted there as well, it may not be able to handle it.

The east always seems emptier .. perhaps there's a way to encourage those on the street to use the east, and those in the subway to use the VIA concourse through the moat. And that that ignore the signage can fill the west teamway.

Until 2017 :( .... Then TTC-Union becomes much better!

Platform 3 is the northmost platform at Union, against the brick wall. It is the sheltered walkway to GO bus station, and extends all the way to Skywalk/UPX, with connections to both concourses. Platform 3 is a little known quick cross-Union-station shortcut..... shhhh; commuter secret!

The stairs between platform 3 and the Bay West teamway are currently closed. The exits to the skywalk, the stairs and elevator to the York concourse, stairs to the VIA and Bay concourses, and the exit to the bus terminal/Bay East teamway are all usable, but Bay West is boarded up as of today. If they reopen it that would be a great way to connect from York to TTC once Bay closes, but without it platform 3 is not going to be of any real use for connecting to the TTC.

Unless they reopen the Bay West-platform 3 stairs, the best way to go between York and TTC will be the north-side lower-level east-west corridor (the one that is under the great hall) from York to the point just west of the Bay concourse, where there are doors to the TTC that do not require you to enter Bay (that should be the farthest East you can go inside the station once Bay closes). I've attached a picture of the updated Union map (apologies for the shoddy MS Paint hackjob, but I think it shows what it needs) to better highlight that route as well as the currently closed platform 3 stairwell that would otherwise be helpful.

union map - Copy.png

Attachments

• union map - Copy.png
    union map - Copy.png
    738.3 KB · Views: 1,221
I like suggestion C. The rectilinear lines reinforce the direction being indicated. The curved lines in D soften the indication, making the sign slightly less obvious.
I agree. C makes the most sense and is the most aesthetically pleasing.

Back