Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The streetscape looks stunning as is, but trees are indeed coming on the north side. The paving turned out well considering the early renderings showed some dated grey interlocking brick used for the roadway. I haven't seen the granite pavers, but the concrete curbs are disappointing.

No renderings showed ornate black street lighting. They showed some minimalist modern design that was different from the utilitarian off-the-shelf stuff you see on Bloor Street in Yorkville. Ornate lighting would look quite good here. It's what the city should use.

The cynic in me expects that in a few months, Rogers or Bell will decide to put in new cables. They'll dig up the new pavement and leave the street with a narrow asphalt strip running parallel to the curb.

Is it really so difficult to put a by-law through that would force them to return it to the condition they found it in?
That's what is SUPPOSED to happen now. A utility company needs a "utility cut permit" which includes cost of complete restoration. Once they have finished they must make a temporary repair and the City will, eventually, make the permanent one. The City does these repairs by area - or street, or block - each year so temporary cut repairs can remain in place for several years or can be fixed almost immediately. Could it be done better? Probably, though having the final repair made by the City is probably good.

The cynic in me expects that in a few months, Rogers or Bell will decide to put in new cables. They'll dig up the new pavement and leave the street with a narrow asphalt strip running parallel to the curb.
That probably won't happen.
I saw crew installing cable conduit when they had the street open.
(I walk by everyday on my commute)

I received confirmation last night that the York GO Concourse will open to the public at the end of April 2015!

Also reviewed some progress photos of the finishing touches being applied, and it`s looking real sleek.

Likewise for exits too, I expect. Presumably, access to street level will open simultaneously: SE corner of Front and York as well as on the west side of York north of Front.
Then there are short connections to the Citibank building at Front & York SW and the lower level of the Royal York. A proper link to the whole west section of PATH is apparently halted by unexpected utilities under York St. Any ideas when this might actually open?

And isn't the moat supposed to be covered so you can walk from the York Concourse and under Front without getting rained upon?

That's what is SUPPOSED to happen now. A utility company needs a "utility cut permit" which includes cost of complete restoration. Once they have finished they must make a temporary repair and the City will, eventually, make the permanent one. The City does these repairs by area - or street, or block - each year so temporary cut repairs can remain in place for several years or can be fixed almost immediately. Could it be done better? Probably, though having the final repair made by the City is probably good.

I believe the utilities also pay the city for the future repair. I wonder if it is enough to repave the entire street vs just a patch? Patches of course don't last and create a rough road (if it is a new road can the city charge more to completely repave it?

And then of course there is the city and the years of delay before the repair is done. If the city had an inspector and made the utility pave the road to the inspectors approval would it be quicker? And would take the risk of inflation/cost overages out of the cities hands and put it back into the utilities.

And isn't the moat supposed to be covered so you can walk from the York Concourse and under Front without getting rained upon?

I believe so, but some other work inside the GO concourse needs to be done before this is completed

Back