Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Speaking of the VIA concourse, that's not the original look of the area is it? Curious how it used to look.

Walked by the area west of the Great Hall and was impressed with the work they've done to the ceiling. Looks so neat and clean.

This was reported to GO/Metrolinx Board last week:

GO York Concourse

City of Toronto is expected to turnover to Metrolinx by end of December

We will then install customer service stations, departure boards, ticket vending machines, PRESTO machines, furniture, etc

Scheduled to open early 2015

I'm going to go out on a limb and say despite the optimism at the Metrolinx board meeting there is no way the city is turning over the York Concourse for final fit out this month.

IMG_20141224_162455.jpg
IMG_20141224_162803.jpg
IMG_20141224_162826.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141224_162455.jpg
    IMG_20141224_162455.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,714
  • IMG_20141224_162803.jpg
    IMG_20141224_162803.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,689
  • IMG_20141224_162826.jpg
    IMG_20141224_162826.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,661
The York teamways aren't a pre-requisite for opening the York concourse interior, as long as the interior is substantially complete. The city can still hand over the interior, while still continuing to work on the teamways.

The Bay teamway area is a bigger mess than the York teamways. Here, the York teamways no longer has gaping holes in the ground anymore. It's just mudflat only, with dumpbins, no holes in the ground. Move the dumpbins and materials out of the way, aggregate & concrete it over, and you're done -- teamways become walkable within a couple months, if they wanted. Look at how hole-less York is now. They can keep construction ongoing in the teamways even as they open it to pedestrian traffic, much like how the Bay teamway areas are a mess even though we commute through it. I think by the time they open the York concourse, the York teamways will be more functional and tidier (even if construction still ongoing) than what the current Bay teamways are.

Just as long as the interior is real nice and essentially done.

The issue is that with the closure of the Bay Concourse the way to access the York Concourse will be at street level through the Great Hall into what used to be the Harvey's, through the arrivals hall (Front Street Promenade as it will be called), or through the moats (Centre and West moats). I think the stairs in the picture plus the moat under the main entrance (where the art wall funded by the Walks and Gardens Trust) is located, plus the Harvey's entrance, plus something through the Front Street Promenade will be required to replace the capacity that the direct PATH and Subway to Bay Concourse, plus Bay Street to Bay Concourse connections provide.

Sorry if this has been answered, I don't follow this thread to often. Just walked past Union Station today on Front and noticed there was no wrapping over the building. Can someone tell me when that happened, and also am i imagining it or does the east side of the building not look clean like the center and west side?

They started cleaning the exterior on the west. I don't recall when they finished the west wing exterior but through the fall they were working on cleaning the centre block / main entrance. A think they will work on the east wing next after the York Concourse opens and Bay Concourse closes.

Back