Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Similar to the Maple Leaf lounge for Air Canada.

similar to what Maple Leaf lounge used to be....they now allow people to buy their way in....not saying that is a bad thing but pretty sure VIA has not adopted that position yet.

Here are a few shots of VIA Waiting area
5373166768_5c89d77fbe_b.jpg

That one's what it used to look like, right?

That's the old Panorama Lounge. It closed a few years ago to make way for construction.

This is what the VIA Panorama lounge looks like now:

urbantoronto-5779-18270.jpg

Image by UT's Craig White.

Attachments

• urbantoronto-5779-18270.jpg
    urbantoronto-5779-18270.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,728
Thanks, Shon, for clearing that up. The new VIA 1 lounge is quite an improvement over the old one!

So, to go back to TOareaFan's question, what have they done with the old VIA 1 lounge? Is it now open as a general purpose waiting area for all passengers?

Noticed that a new pathway had opened up. Where the LCBO used to be is a new pathway which links to the GO BAY Concourse (opens up to where the cinnabun is) and the departures concourse (I think). Nice to see some tangible changes in the station.

Pretty excited for this project to be completed. I remember when I was in Amsterdam last year, studying, I would often pass through the central station for day trips to different parts of the Country. It was a pretty big destination unto itself with a multitude of amenities and services. I couldn't think of a landmark that could leave a better impression on visitors to Toronto than a revitalized Union Station.

Pretty excited for this project to be completed. I remember when I was in Amsterdam last year, studying, I would often pass through the central station for day trips to different parts of the Country. It was a pretty big destination unto itself with a multitude of amenities and services. I couldn't think of a landmark that could leave a better impression on visitors to Toronto than a revitalized Union Station.

Amsterdam is actually a good comparison. IIRC they have small departures lounges on the lower level with a series of staircases/escalators up to platform level. If you're cold you can wait downstairs until the monitor shows your bilevel commuter is ready to board. Each platform is also divided into East and West segments, so you have to know where your train will be stopping--it's a through station, not a terminus like so many you'll find in European capitals. The one main difference vis a vis Union is that the platforms are much, much wider, as is common in Europe. You can wait upstairs if you want.

Back