Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

This may 'deserve' to be a new thread but there was lots of talk of the new GO HQ in this thread: 5-7 The Esplanade (Castlepoint, former GO Transit new HQ plan). Can they be linked somehow?
Details and the report to the Government Management Committee are at http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/gm/agendas/2008-11-21-gm19-as.pdf

I'd rather leave these as separate threads: the 5-7 The Esplanade thread can then evolve again once another plan is put forward for that site. In the meantime, we now have these reminders here of that thread.

Globe and Mail

GO deal one step closer
Council committee approves plan to buy part of Union Station

JENNIFER LEWINGTON
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF
November 22, 2008

A proposed deal by GO Transit to buy part of Union Station, which cleared a key hurdle at city hall yesterday, sends a strong signal about prospects for a major refurbishment of the transportation hub.

Under the deal - believed to be worth more than $30-million - GO Transit would buy the west wing above the first floor of Union Station, taking over the 90,000-square-foot area as its new head office in 2013. GO would also lease an additional 13,000 square feet in the station's centre block.

Of equal significance is GO's decision to build and own new east and west concourses at the station, assuming the city completes negotiations by next spring with a private-sector investor to manage new underground retail space.

The proposal, which goes to council in early December, won unanimous backing yesterday from council's government management committee.

Later, Mayor David Miller called the deal "good news" for the city and GO Transit.

Despite the trembling economy, Mr. Miller said the deal with GO fortifies the city's ability to renew the station with public and private dollars.

"It sends a signal this project is well on track," he said, with talks ongoing with several investors, believed to be major Canadian pension funds.

GO chairman Peter Smith said it became clear "very recently" that the city was prepared to sell a portion of the building. Union Station remains in city hands, but the so-called "strata" agreement with GO is akin to buying a condominium.

He described Union Station as "the centre of the universe for GO Transit," with 98 per cent of its customers moving in and out of the station.

The provincial-government-owned agency, which owns the train tracks and train shed, is already making service improvements.

Assuming the deal closes as scheduled on March 31 and that the city brings in a private investor to lease the underground retail area, the proposed $100-million-plus facelift will still take years to complete. As part of its deal with the city, GO has agreed to split the $65-million cost of a new northwest link from the station to downtown, long-proposed to ease congestion for commuters.

Globe and Mail

GO deal one step closer

Assuming the deal closes as scheduled on March 31 and that the city brings in a private investor to lease the underground retail area, the proposed $100-million-plus facelift will still take years to complete. As part of its deal with the city, GO has agreed to split the $65-million cost of a new northwest link from the station to downtown, long-proposed to ease congestion for commuters.

As one of the commuters who live on one of the underserved lines...I would much rather GO spend that $32.5-million finding ways to get me (and others like me on other lines) to Union more often rather than worrying about how I am going to get out of Union if/when I ever got there.

That sounds like a municipal project/concern to me?

As one of the commuters who live on one of the underserved lines...I would much rather GO spend that $32.5-million finding ways to get me (and others like me on other lines) to Union more often rather than worrying about how I am going to get out of Union if/when I ever got there.

That sounds like a municipal project/concern to me?

Union Station has to be able to handle the crowds and flow of the crowds for when all the people do come. And the amount of people coming to Union Station will be much higher as more service is added to lines.

Globe and Mail

GO deal one step closer
Council committee approves plan to buy part of Union Station

JENNIFER LEWINGTON
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF
November 22, 2008

A proposed deal by GO Transit to buy part of Union Station, which cleared a key hurdle at city hall yesterday, sends a strong signal about prospects for a major refurbishment of the transportation hub.

Under the deal - believed to be worth more than $30-million - GO Transit would buy the west wing above the first floor of Union Station, taking over the 90,000-square-foot area as its new head office in 2013. GO would also lease an additional 13,000 square feet in the station's centre block.

30 million dollars is peanuts,the city must really be hard up for money.

Union Station has to be able to handle the crowds and flow of the crowds for when all the people do come. And the amount of people coming to Union Station will be much higher as more service is added to lines.

But the path connection is not Union Station it is a pedestrian walkway to Union Station....I am not saying it is not needed but it is a municipal responsibility.....this is akin to GO building new roads to a suburban station....just not their job.

But the path connection is not Union Station it is a pedestrian walkway to Union Station....I am not saying it is not needed but it is a municipal responsibility.....this is akin to GO building new roads to a suburban station....just not their job.

Actually, it's more akin to developers building PATH connections while constructing their buildings. Besides... the city is relying on public and private investment to revitalize Union and GO is now a partner in that.

Automation Gallery said:
30 million dollars is peanuts,the city must really be hard up for money.

Unless you provide evidence that proves otherwise, more than $330/sq. ft is not peanuts for a deal that includes GO taking on some heavy revitalization work.

Still nothing going on with the Union Station TTC upgrade! I wonder when real work on enlarging the station will actually begin!

From City of Toronto News:

June 27, 2007
City of Toronto working to beautify Union Station

Beyond the work on the skylight and west wing window, the City has committed to significant work to keep Union Station safe, functioning and in good repair, including:
- Ongoing anti-terrorist and emergency preparedness work, made possible by partial funding from the Transit-Secure program

What exactly does that mean?? More people die in the world from peanut allergies than terrorists. Are they gonna spend lots of money to prevent something that just isn't going to happen?? Reminds me of the TTC and their glass shield things on busses and streetcars. What exactly are they proposing though?? What CAN you do to prevent a terrorist attack at Union?? Airport-style security?? HOpefully not!!

I think they finished work on moving the sewer line about four or five months ago, if not more recently. But why the quiet now... I have no idea.

The City has released some new renders of the new GO concourse. There is also a virtual tour through it on the website.
union_10b.jpg

union_8b.jpg

For some reason, the video didn't work for me, but here it is anyway:

Ok, never mind, I can't copy-paste the link, but here's the link to the webpage from which you can see the video:

http://www.toronto.ca/union_station/video.htm

Last edited:
The video is pretty bad - you really need to look at how the people are walking, it is really quite hilarious. Nonetheless, thanks for posting.

p5

Back