Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Even Pearson has a Samsonite so it would make sense. If I recall, the leather shop used to sell baggage and so forth did it not?
I have no problem with a luggage shop at Union (though doubt it would be profitable) - there is no comparison between Pearson & Union. The % of people at Pearson who have baggage (that might need to be replaced or added to due to Duty Free) is MUCH higher than the % of GO and VIA passengers with luggage.

I have no problem with a luggage shop at Union (though doubt it would be profitable) - there is no comparison between Pearson & Union. The % of people at Pearson who have baggage (that might need to be replaced or added to due to Duty Free) is MUCH higher than the % of GO and VIA passengers with luggage.

That is true. If I am not mistaken only the Canadian has baggage service now? The Corridor trains have little baggage.

I think there's some overlap there because of UPX serving Pearson; I would also think that a shop devoted to luggage would also sell briefcases/handbags/purses/knapsacks and that would dovetail well w/the commuter crowd.

I think there's some overlap there because of UPX serving Pearson; I would also think that a shop devoted to luggage would also sell briefcases/handbags/purses/knapsacks and that would dovetail well w/the commuter crowd.

Who even uses briefcases anymore?

That being said a Coach or Michael Kors would work well there.

LOL; you don't like almost everything, so the problem is with the retail curation?

I don't wear makeup and won't be perusing Sephora myself; and I already have a dentist; that said, I think the curation has been decent. It offers a range of retail for locals, for traveler's on-the-go; and tourists.

There's obviously more food retail coming; but that aside, there are a few more choices yet.

There's also a lot of high profile retail coming in literally across the street as well.(CIBC Square phase 1/2)
True, but 13 locations in Union for coffee, and 3 locations for alcohol is already more than enough, another coffee shop and 3 more bars does need to be added. We need more quick affordable food like the foodie isle but on a grander scale, a travel shop that sells stuff that VIA passengers might need, and maybe some other stuff that’s easy and quick.

I don’t mind Sephora, TD, Decathlon, Cinnabon, the pot shop, and I guess the olive oil bar because those are all brand new and unique in Union.

Edit: and a dentist office is just stupid in that location, it’s not the type of business that requires foot traffic and a good location, it does not need to be where it is.

Plus the Library Bar in place of the Starbucks in the Royal Bank Plaza? Is the Fairmont pushing their boundaries or just advertizing?
Could it be the same icon Library Bar returning from Niagara Falls, New York back in the 80s. Ahhh.
3C875DBC-0160-4C8D-B836-C2B88359B8B5.jpeg

True, but 13 locations in Union for coffee, and 3 locations for alcohol is already more than enough, another coffee shop and 3 more bars does need to be added. We need more quick affordable food like the foodie isle but on a grander scale, a travel shop that sells stuff that VIA passengers might need, and maybe some other stuff that’s easy and quick.

I don’t mind Sephora, TD, Decathlon, Cinnabon, the pot shop, and I guess the olive oil bar because those are all brand new and unique in Union.

Edit: and a dentist office is just stupid in that location, it’s not the type of business that requires foot traffic and a good location, it does not need to be where it is.

It's a mall - besides, the VIA passenger load is so small, it would make no sense to target retailers in the mall solely to cater to them. I am also guessing that the dental office expect to draw clientele from Southcore.

AoD

Can someone explain why in the planet we're getting a dental office inside Union Station? I mean really now are they serious?

I had that exact same reaction at first, but then when I thought about it it made perfect sense. If we're serious about minimizing car culture then it's the best connected place to have one for the 905'rs.

May as well put a GP in there alongside a Yoga Studio.

Why not?

and a dentist office is just stupid in that location, it’s not the type of business that requires foot traffic and a good location, it does not need to be where it is.

Not everybody owns a car, and that's kind of the point of the station improvements, isn't it?

Last edited:
Having travel through 4 Europe stations so far, all have been remodel into a mall of some sort since I last saw them 10 years ago. Still have 9 more to see. None of them sell luggage.

Have yet to see a Dentist office in the the 4 cities so far or a gym. A few sell wine, beer, liquor and no pot.

As for Union Station taking so long to be remodel, I had to say "WHAT" when I saw the outside of Zurich Train Station. It looks the same as it was 10 years ago and was to be completed by 2015. It now schedule to be done by 2024. They have built a number of S Bahn platforms under a lower concourses mall that is under the station. GO Style S Bahn trains, oh my.

Not impress with Union Remodeling so far. Some things work like the food area, but a miss on many fronts.

Having travel through 4 Europe stations so far, all have been remodel into a mall of some sort since I last saw them 10 years ago. Still have 9 more to see. None of them sell luggage.

Have yet to see a Dentist office in the the 4 cities so far or a gym. A few sell wine, beer, liquor and no pot.

As for Union Station taking so long to be remodel, I had to say "WHAT" when I saw the outside of Zurich Train Station. It looks the same as it was 10 years ago and was to be completed by 2015. It now schedule to be done by 2024. They have built a number of S Bahn platforms under a lower concourses mall that is under the station. GO Style S Bahn trains, oh my.

Not impress with Union Remodeling so far. Some things work like the food area, but a miss on many fronts.
The construction workforce is not as skilled as the ones in Europe which can get these types of projects done a lot faster. I guess Union Station Revitalization was a once in a lifetime project while these types of projects occur more frequently in Europe.

Lets see if the Union Station Enhancement Project can be done on time. I doubt it but lets see.

Not everybody owns a car, and that's kind of the point of the station improvements, isn't it?
Okay well Union isn’t the only place that can be accessed without cars, literally anywhere else in downtown Toronto can, and especially throughout the PATH network.

Back