Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

New Metrolinx blog post with a couple renderings (not sure if new but different than the ones I saw previously from 2018)
i do remember a few images from 2018:

whats-next.jpg

Union_Station.png

ab670e509a40e4fa25acffc212a4e03b.jpg

compared to theese, the concourse image looks...dull? looks more akin to the old union station beige colours
USEP-Concourse-Image.jpg

USEP-Platform-Image.jpg

Do we know if the stairs from concourse level will be redone to reflect the updated platform configuration? Or will they be left and this new project designed around them?

Edit: looks like stairs will be modified, at least in some areas. Should have read the blog more fully.

It's an exciting project to see get going. Can't say I'm looking forward to more Union station construction but the end result will be worth it.

Do we know if the stairs from concourse level will be redone to reflect the updated platform configuration? Or will they be left and this new project designed around them?

Edit: looks like stairs will be modified, at least in some areas. Should have read the blog more fully.

It's an exciting project to see get going. Can't say I'm looking forward to more Union station construction but the end result will be worth it.
This construction will be more out of the way.

Reactions: DSC
Level boarding still part of this package? Or is it part of On-Corr?
no it's oncorr.
in fact they specifically mention that oncorr is doing the platform and union station work on all the other tracks

"And, back to sequencing of projects in and around the station, USEP is scheduled to take place now, in advance of and in preparation for the On-Corridor Works project which will reconstruct and widen platforms within the existing trainshed."

funny that, theyre still going to rebuild low-floor platforms destroy them 1-2 years later again for oncorr

OK but one day you won't and many cannot today.
I was being sarcastic. It's absolutely ridiculous that so much money is being spent on renovating Union Station, and yet after all these years we still have platforms that in many ways wouldn't be out of place in a rural village. Aside from the obvious accessibility issues, of which there are many, it's embarrassing that the most important rail transportation hub in the country has platforms that are dangerously narrow, and laughably short compared to the doors on trains.

I swear one of them had a stuffed moose or some such similar creature.

I think VIA Rail used one of them as a display case for their souvenir shop.

I do not know how true this is, but many years ago I was told that these units do not meet the fire code and can only be used as displays. Hopefully this isn’t true, leaving them empty just makes this part of Union look more run down, ghetto and like a dying suburban mall.

If they can't be walked into, what about taking out the glass and putting in vending machines? Not like the ones you see here, but like they have in Japan where you can get almost anything out of one? Wouldn't be the classiest solution, but it's better than letting them sit.

If they can't be walked into, what about taking out the glass and putting in vending machines? Not like the ones you see here, but like they have in Japan where you can get almost anything out of one? Wouldn't be the classiest solution, but it's better than letting them sit.

They should just rip it all out and have a widened corridor - we have preserved enough garbage at the Union Station in the name of "heritage" already.

AoD

They should just rip it all out and have a widened corridor - we have preserved enough garbage at the Union Station in the name of "heritage" already.

AoD

The vitrines are original to the station unfortunately.

Done well they could be used to promote Tourism Toronto, Parks Canada and VIA Rail.

Their original design purpose was to promote the latest wares from places like Hudsons Bay and Eatons to new arrivals in Toronto. No doubt they could be used for a similar purpose now.

AoD

I'm open to the thought; but I have to say, I don't mind the display windows, if properly purposed.

I mind the ceiling and lighting; and I might the crap restoration job on the not awe-inspiring to begin with walls.

There's so much that's mediocre in this section....

I would also add, as yet, that I have not noticed congestion as a huge issue in the VIA areas.

Though, Covid obviously messes w/that.

Further, one would hope HFR would generate significant additional ridership.

Back