Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

In any event, is the situation at Union that hostile - or is it because they just don't want to deal with maintenance?

AoD

While I'm certainly not an elevating device technician....

I've been led to believe that it is more of the latter than the former.

Dan

Also...

In the event of a breakdown I believe that access to the elevator has to be shut down this severely limiting throughput of the station. Most places with escalators often have double the capacity in staircases near the escalator to be used as relief in a breakdown.

Union was not able to have this level of redundancy.

Also...

In the event of a breakdown I believe that access to the elevator has to be shut down this severely limiting throughput of the station. Most places with escalators often have double the capacity in staircases near the escalator to be used as relief in a breakdown.

Union was not able to have this level of redundancy.

I don't think that's the case - it certainly isn't at the TTC. If an escalator stops, it simply becomes a staircase.

Yes, there is a short period of time when the inspectors need to come by and check it, but that can usually be arranged outside of peak usage hours.

Dan

I don't think that's the case - it certainly isn't at the TTC. If an escalator stops, it simply becomes a staircase.

Yes, there is a short period of time when the inspectors need to come by and check it, but that can usually be arranged outside of peak usage hours.

Dan
0605dd3345e2390b0da714a53313bee9ab2e386409fb22239b8be1f40f80daf6.jpg

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3ojdea

The walkway above the East Front Moat - between TTC and Bay Concourse is now open. The passageway below the Sir John A Plaza looks finished but it and West Front Moat remain closed.
Maybe I’m not updated on the terminology, but isn’t the connection between TTC and the Bay concourse, the East Front moat? And above it is the glass covering and street level?

It’s been three years since I last went through Union Station. Is concours expansion and updates to the platforms and train shed and waiting areas now complete? Last time I took a VIA train to Montreal the waiting area was a low ceilinged, dark and damp cavern, which compared poorly with the airy GOTrain waiting area in the new concours.

So, is it done?

It’s been three years since I last went through Union Station. Is concours expansion and updates to the platforms and train shed and waiting areas now complete? Last time I took a VIA train to Montreal the waiting area was a low ceilinged, dark and damp cavern, which compared poorly with the airy GOTrain waiting area in the new concours.

So, is it done?
The Via Concourse is unfortunately in its finished state. The train shed is “heritage” so we have to keep it instead of having the large, airy glass ceiling cover the whole length of the platforms. Because all the tourist will come to Toronto to marvel at the historical train shed. This city sometimes…

The Via Concourse is unfortunately in it’s finished state.
Imagine a couple paying $10,000 to ride the Canadian in style from Toronto to Vancouver and this is their welcome.

4096405039_1dd8d8419b_z.jpg

Why wasn’t the VIA Concourse considered worthy of a major rebuild?

Imagine a couple paying $10,000 to ride the Canadian in style from Toronto to Vancouver and this is their welcome.

I presume it was done this way for heritage reasons. If I am not mistaken there are oodles and oodles of heritage protection covering the station.

Clearly you have never ridden the Canadian - the Edmonton VIA station is a shed in the middle of a huge freight yard - Union Station (though I am not too keen on the VIA concourse either) is a palace in comparison!

I presume it was done this way for heritage reasons. If I am not mistaken there are oodles and oodles of heritage protection covering the station.
What could possibly be considered heritage here? This looks like something from Wolfenstein or the Führerbunker.

Back