Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

They said end of 2020.

Not sure what else is left to be completed.
Where to start ......

The Bay concourse is not yet open (though it looks almost finished) - next stage is Metrolinx fit out.
The Bay moat paving, almost done but not finished
The painting of the ceiling below Great Hall area - oddly left unpainted for years!
Opening the new stairs from below Great Hall to new Bay concourse
The opening of the new connection to the south towards SBA (and the closure of the ramp that's there now.)
The passageway between Front East and Front West moats - plus the artwork (the artists are still stuck in Europe.
The ability to go east of the Great Hall and exit through the east wing doors @ corner of Front and Bay
The remaining floor repairs i Great Hall
Replacing the Great Hall lights

plus, no doubt, more.

They said end of 2020.

Not sure what else is left to be completed.
Where to start ......

The Bay concourse is not yet open (though it looks almost finished) - next stage is Metrolinx fit out.
The Bay moat paving, almost done but not finished
The painting of the ceiling below Great Hall area - oddly left unpainted for years!
Opening the new stairs from below Great Hall to new Bay concourse
The opening of the new connection to the south towards SBA (and the closure of the ramp that's there now.)
The passageway between Front East and Front West moats - plus the artwork (the artists are still stuck in Europe.
The ability to go east of the Great Hall and exit through the east wing doors @ corner of Front and Bay
The remaining floor repairs i Great Hall
Replacing the Great Hall lights

plus, no doubt, more.

I was in the Bay Concourse recently and there still appears to be some materials/equipment behind the construction hoarding.

Will certainly be a change when the big centre light in the Great Hall goes from yellow to white (I assume).

20210111_165136.jpg

Toronto will get another kick at the can when the new rail station on the old Lever factory site is realized. It's a blank slate so hopefully we get something comparable to Penn Station/Moynihan Train Hall.
That will be a small station like Exhibition. It won't be a convergence point for 7 GO lines and VIA Rail.

Toronto will get another kick at the can when the new rail station on the old Lever factory site is realized. It's a blank slate so hopefully we get something comparable to Penn Station/Moynihan Train Hall.

That will be a small station like Exhibition. It won't be a convergence point for 7 GO lines and VIA Rail.

Well it is unlikely to be as minor as Exhibition, cmon don't compare it to Penn!

That will be a small station like Exhibition.

No pissers, temporary shed building, unfinished additions for a decade, bottleneck underpass? We don't need another one, though they'd make nice bookends to the perpetual construction in between.

I was at Union last week and was shocked.....shocked!....to get to walk through a part of the Bay Concourse, most of which was still looking like I would expect it to look like for another year or two.

I don't even want it to be finished....it'll be weird at this point.

No pissers, temporary shed building, unfinished additions for a decade, bottleneck underpass? We don't need another one, though they'd make nice bookends to the perpetual construction in between.

I was at Union last week and was shocked.....shocked!....to get to walk through a part of the Bay Concourse, most of which was still looking like I would expect it to look like for another year or two.

I don't even want it to be finished....it'll be weird at this point.

Hey Sunrise, you're a handy fella; and it turns out no matter how much the City forks over, we can't seem to get Union done.

Why don't you pitch to the City to assume the contract.

No, no consortium, just you.

At triple your normal rate, you'd still be 95% cheaper than past contractors; and bonus...........there's a good chance you'd finish something in the next year.

Pretty sure that's bonus territory. (err, a change order, since the original tender won't actually require that you to finish anything)

Doubt you'd need any help, but on the off chance, it would surely just be for physical labour...........so you could partner with a gym, take 3/4 of the monthly fee and just give someone a workout moving stuff where you need it!

Even before the Ontario Line, the plans for Exhibition were to add 2 extra tunnels; and there'll be a washroom somewhere, as the Ontario Line terminus.

We haven't seen detailed station designs for either location. I expect at the end of the day, they'll be relatively equivalent.

Hey Sunrise, you're a handy fella; and it turns out no matter how much the City forks over, we can't seem to get Union done.

Why don't you pitch to the City to assume the contract.

No, no consortium, just you.

At triple your normal rate, you'd still be 95% cheaper than past contractors; and bonus...........there's a good chance you'd finish something in the next year.

Pretty sure that's bonus territory. (err, a change order, since the original tender won't actually require that you to finish anything)

Doubt you'd need any help, but on the off chance, it would surely just be for physical labour...........so you could partner with a gym, take 3/4 of the monthly fee and just give someone a workout moving stuff where you need it!

Sounds legit! My hourly rate is only 170$ which is probably a bargain when it comes to public works projects which I know are always overpriced.

The thing is, I don't want it to be finished.

I'd rather be hired to destroy the Gardiner....and that I'd do gratis!

Even before the Ontario Line, the plans for Exhibition were to add 2 extra tunnels; and there'll be a washroom somewhere, as the Ontario Line terminus.
I know and that's my point....I've been dealing with an incomplete/UC/wank/bottleneck tunnel Exhibition Station for 14 years.

Back