Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

A better strategy may be to give the city discretion over which bidder to choose as long as the lowest bids are all within a small range. But for all I know that is actually already the case.
The problem with giving staff discretion, is it leads to favouritism - and worse.

The real key is making sure all the bidders who are considered for the financial aspect, are qualified. Or the scoring is realistic. Though this requires more competence from the agency doing the bid than often exists.

I agree, contractors play the game they have to play to get the job. Same thing with politicians - big construction projects would never get approved if the upfront estimate was anything other than best best case scenario (which never materializes).

nfitz, I don't think we should be overly concerned with favoritism if it doesn't materially impact the cost of a project. Often times there exists a very good working relationship with an existing contractor, but some low ball bid comes in from an unknown entity that they are forced to take because it's minutely better. If a new contractor wants to establish business with the city, make it substantially worth the cities time and effort to vet them by a bid that fully prices in that risk.

nfitz, I don't think we should be overly concerned with favoritism if it doesn't materially impact the cost of a project.
Really? There have been so many scandals. People going to jail ...

There's a reason for taking the lowest qualified bidder(s). There's a reason that the mafia own construction and even engineering firms.

Scandal and corruption happen, despite the rules. I'm just saying that if one bid comes in at $100MM and another bid comes in almost the same ($99.5MM for example), then staff should have some discretion to choose the bid based on qualitative factors. This does not override vetting for both of them being qualified bidders.

Scandal and corruption happen, despite the rules. I'm just saying that if one bid comes in at $100MM and another bid comes in almost the same ($99.5MM for example), then staff should have some discretion to choose the bid based on qualitative factors. This does not override vetting for both of them being qualified bidders.
That's a very slippery slope. Is $1 more expensive OK enough, is it $100 or 1% or ????

There really is no perfect solution but demanding performance bonds etc DOES screen out those who are not financially viable and gets projects completed if/when a company is in trouble. (See: https://www.enr.com/articles/46753-...d-wins-court-protection-as-project-woes-mount ) . That's why the North St Lawrence Market contract was NOT awarded to Bondfield; they had lowest bid but could not get the bond.

Bondfield, got the Union Station contract and are now in some kind of 'administration' - the work continues (after a few weeks of little happening) BECAUSE they had a bond and its issuer (Zurich, I think) is paying. One also, of course, needs a very clear and unambiguous contract with various key dates and checks and need to administer it strictly; I think THAT is why Carillion LOST the earlier Union Station contract as they failed to meet the contract and it was terminated, or not renewed. (Of course, one can get into a Bombardier / TTC Streetcar situation where a supplier is clearly in default of the contract but it is (may be!) cheaper and better to work with them rather than terminating it and starting over.)

The bay Concourse can't open soon enough. The overcrowding in the moat between the ttc station and bypass to the York go Concourse area and to the Bay teamway is getting really dangerous. These images were form rush hour last night around 5 30pm. No idea what was going on but they had a ttc employee trying to redirect people which wasn't very effective. It was so bad I had to turn around and go up to street level from the ttc Concourse.
IMG_20190509_174509.jpg
IMG_20190509_174527.jpg

The bay Concourse can't open soon enough. The overcrowding in the moat between the ttc station and bypass to the York go Concourse area and to the Bay teamway is getting really dangerous. These images were form rush hour last night around 5 30pm. No idea what was going on but they had a ttc employee trying to redirect people which wasn't very effective. It was so bad I had to turn around and go up to street level from the ttc Concourse.View attachment 185116View attachment 185117
Inserting mandatory lamenting that finishing the middle of the Front Street Moat wasn't a higher priority. Sorry for being a broken record.

That crowding last night was ridiculous. I have no idea why it occurred though, unless it was rain induced. I don't see that type of crowding during rush hour on a daily basis by any means.

Update on the project in report to Government and Lic. Committee meeting of May 21, 2019

From said Report:

Stage 2/3:
•Exterior restoration of the East Wing is 99% complete.
•Great Hall Restoration: East and West arches, including windows, north wall, south wall and ceiling cleaning complete.
The floor restoration remains outstanding.
•VIA Concourse restoration is 99% complete.
•Front Street West Moat: Moat cover installation is 100% complete.
•Front Street East Moat: Moat cover installation is 80% complete.
•East Wing ground floor is over 80% complete.
•Bay Concourse/Retail: Excavation, structural column replacements, and new Bay Concourse suspended slab and slab on grade completed.
•50% of the Commercial Retail Units in the Front Street Promenade have been completed and are currently operating.
•Interior finishing work is 65% complete.

Schedule Update and Future Milestone

The remaining work includes the completion of Stage 2/3, which includes the Bay Concourse, VIA Concourse, Great Hall, remaining retail areas, East Wing exterior façade, and the York and Bay Street moat covers. While significant progress is expected by the end of 2019, construction logistics require work on certain portions of the station to continue into 2020, including the Bay and Front Street moats. Total completion of the Stage 2/3 scope of work is anticipated by the end of the third quarter of 2020.

The USRP team has implemented a strategy to expedite ongoing construction and ensure that completed areas of the station open to the public as soon as possible. As sections of the Bay Concourse, Front Street Promenade, and remaining retail areas are Union Station Revitalization Project – Status Report & Contract Amendments Page 8 of 11completed in the second and third quarters of 2019, they will be turned over to Metrolinx and Osmington for interior fit-out prior to public opening. This staged turnover will lead to new areas of the station opening up as they are ready, which will contribute to improved pedestrian flow through the station and enjoyment of the commercial and retail amenities. Metrolinx and Osmington will ultimately determine exactly when these areas of the station open to the public. Based on typical construction schedules it is anticipated that remaining retail units will open on a rolling basis throughout 2020. The Bay Concourse is expected to be available for public usage in the first quarter of 2020.

Last edited:
That crowding last night was ridiculous. I have no idea why it occurred though, unless it was rain induced. I don't see that type of crowding during rush hour on a daily basis by any means.

When it backs up during evening rush, it's weather or sports related.

When it backs up during the morning rush it's because multiple GO trains dump at the same time and everyone gets dumped on the transition at once. You can see it even further back as the VIA concourse is down to one hallway and it'll back up in there as well.

The solution for impatient people (myself included) is to go outside, over Front, and back in.

Last edited:
Update on the project in report to Government and Lic. Committee meeting of May 21, 2019

From said Report:

Stage 2/3:
•Exterior restoration of the East Wing is 99% complete.
•Great Hall Restoration: East and West arches, including windows, north wall, south wall and ceiling cleaning complete.
The floor restoration remains outstanding.
•VIA Concourse restoration is 99% complete.
•Front Street West Moat: Moat cover installation is 100% complete.
•Front Street East Moat: Moat cover installation is 80% complete.
•East Wing ground floor is over 80% complete.
•Bay Concourse/Retail: Excavation, structural column replacements, and new Bay Concourse suspended slab and slab on grade completed.
•50% of the Commercial Retail Units in the Front Street Promenade have been completed and are currently operating.
•Interior finishing work is 65% complete.

Schedule Update and Future Milestone

The remaining work includes the completion of Stage 2/3, which includes the Bay Concourse, VIA Concourse, Great Hall, remaining retail areas, East Wing exterior façade, and the York and Bay Street moat covers. While significant progress is expected by the end of 2019, construction logistics require work on certain portions of the station to continue into 2020, including the Bay and Front Street moats. Total completion of the Stage 2/3 scope of work is anticipated by the end of the third quarter of 2020.

The USRP team has implemented a strategy to expedite ongoing construction and ensure that completed areas of the station open to the public as soon as possible. As sections of the Bay Concourse, Front Street Promenade, and remaining retail areas are Union Station Revitalization Project – Status Report & Contract Amendments Page 8 of 11completed in the second and third quarters of 2019, they will be turned over to Metrolinx and Osmington for interior fit-out prior to public opening. This staged turnover will lead to new areas of the station opening up as they are ready, which will contribute to improved pedestrian flow through the station and enjoyment of the commercial and retail amenities. Metrolinx and Osmington will ultimately determine exactly when these areas of the station open to the public. Based on typical construction schedules it is anticipated that remaining retail units will open on a rolling basis throughout 2020. The Bay Concourse is expected to be available for public usage in the first quarter of 2020.

That report is signed off by Acting, Acting, Acting, Interim :rolleyes:

AoD

Back