Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Union Station construction delays

The most recent delay forced Toronto to ask city council for an additional $23 million in funding.
I'm glad City News is staying on this. But that was basically one of those news stories whose news is that we aren't quite sure what the news is. 'Substantial completion sometime this year'.

O-kay.

No. I used to assist Derek Boles with tours through there.

It is the connecting passages between the north and south sides of the station. It also was designed to provide lighting and ties into the heating somehow I believe.

The only way to access that space is via a locked door next to the washrooms in the west wing.

^Actually it's one of the earliest examples of "Toronto Office Ant-Farm"...where the 'ants' are kept behind locked doors to act and play just as if life were normal. Most of them are oblivious to the limitations of their own universe, but some have been known to escape and set-up colonies elsewhere.

They can have a nasty bite, so try not to sit on them. Of course they steal Ms Aikin's lunch. The sugars especially are attractive to them. But Ford has already stolen many of the lunches, and thus just the one ant visible in the pic above.

No. I used to assist Derek Boles with tours through there.

It is the connecting passages between the north and south sides of the station. It also was designed to provide lighting and ties into the heating somehow I believe.

The only way to access that space is via a locked door next to the washrooms in the west wing.

Metrolinx has offices in the west wing, and that walkway can be used to walk between the offices on the south side of the west wing and the north side, as well as access offices/meeting spaces in the central part of the station. It was behind hoarding/tarps for a long time, so only recently can you actually see people walking through it.

Metrolinx has offices in the west wing, and that walkway can be used to walk between the offices on the south side of the west wing and the north side, as well as access offices/meeting spaces in the central part of the station. It was behind hoarding/tarps for a long time, so only recently can you actually see people walking through it, again.

Fixed that for you...

West side status and wow that Bay Concourse can't open soon enough. Update: third picture added.

2XtFSsT

20190227-080740.jpg

20190227-080751.jpg

2T6k73W

Last edited:
I'm glad City News is staying on this.

So, nothing on the status of the food market area below the VIA Concourse. Is it on time? Is there anything radical like an estimated opening date?

The moat?

And I wonder how many TV viewers understood what she meant by Bay Concourse— do many people, including regulars, use the building section names comfortably yet? I guess most know the Great Hall, and York Concourse may be gaining acceptance though it’s just as likely known as “the GO area”...

February 28, 2019

Toronto Fire Services lays Ontario Fire Code Violation charges

Charges for a violation of the Ontario Fire Code have been laid against the City of Toronto and Bondfield Construction Company Limited.

On or about December 17, 2018, three of four exit doors were blocked in a means of egress at Union Station.

Toronto fire inspectors conducted a review of the incident and, in consultation with assigned outside legal counsel, determined there were reasonable and probable grounds to support a charge under Article 2.7.1.7(1) of the Ontario Fire Code: "Means of egress shall be maintained in good repair and free of obstructions."

Violations of the Ontario Fire Code pose a serious risk to building occupants and responding firefighters. The penalties for violations run up to $50,000 and/or a year in jail for individuals and up to $100,000 for a corporation.

^ That one hit the news big-time when it happened. Authorities were forced to react.
I see a hell of a lot of other situations at Onion that surely can't meet the terms of Health and Safety regs.

Back