Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

20181219_124558.jpg
20181219_124608.jpg
20181219_124633.jpg
20181219_124826.jpg
20181219_124849.jpg
20181219_124858.jpg

It is currently occupied by Scotiabank BUT it will a pathway to Bay St once the renovations are complete.
It is now empty, ScotiaBank moved out several years ago. The main level will be part of the Bay Concourse (or an extension of Great Hall) and, as you say, another route to the Bay Street Concourse exits to Bay Street below.

BTW I noticed today that they have replaced (or reproduced anew) the rather elegant brass grilles on the air vents in the staircases that go from Great Hall downwards. Look quite good.

It is now empty, ScotiaBank moved out several years ago. The main level will be part of the Bay Concourse (or an extension of Great Hall) and, as you say, another route to the Bay Street Concourse exits to Bay Street below.

BTW I noticed today that they have replaced (or reproduced anew) the rather elegant brass grilles on the air vents in the staircases that go from Great Hall downwards. Look quite good.
What’s going to be inside the east wing when it’s finished (sorry I have so many questions)

this is terrible reporting, they show a video of the doors being blocked and then she comments on the complete opposite doors being locked making it seem a lot worse than it was. I was there it was not that bad, its always busy like that after concerts and games.....
For some odd reason, I believe this report more than your 'observations':
[...]
Thousands of such people got stuck in the station's Bay West teamway on Monday night after a Mumford and Sons concert at the nearby Scotiabank Arena

The teamway, which provides access to GO Transit platforms 3 to 13 and the Bay South Concourse, also serves as a throughway of sorts for the many pedestrians who can't all fit onto an adjacent, very narrow tunnel sidewalk.

As people left the sold-out Mumford and Sons show on Monday night, many poured towards the teamway in an effort to catch GO trains and buses back to the 'burbs.

Unfortunately for them (and everyone else who happened to be in the area), a large pair of doors at the end of the teamway were blocked off for no apparent reason, creating a bottleneck of people as pedestrians scrambled to squeeze through one exit.

"If someone fired a pistol into the air, or yelled 'fire!' there would be several dead from being trampled for sure," said one witness of the scene on Reddit.

"It made me extremely nervous. Again, I've found myself in concert crowds before, but this was something else... At one point no one was moving, we were all just standing."

Metrolinx Spokesperson Ann Marie Aikins later told City News that the inaccesible north side doors should never have been locked and blocked off by gates as they were.

"There's construction ongoing at Union Station and we understand a contractor closed two doors where they should have been kept open," said Aikins. "So that contributed to a bottleneck."
[...]
https://www.blogto.com/city/2018/12/union-station-overcrowding-problem-toronto/

See:

Back