Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

PS. Try the Affogato. Espresso shot dumped over soft serve. So amazing!

I probably will try that at some point, but it seems weird that it's soft serve. To my mind an affogato is supposed to be espresso with a scoop of regular ice cream - the slow melting of the scoop into an ice creamy coffee soup is the whole point.

That was one of the best photo dumps I've ever seen on here. Thanks for taking the time to take all those--and for captioning each picture. The engineering here blows my mind. It's simply incredible.

And I didn't know they were excavating. I take it this is simply to create more headroom down there, creating a bigger space? Amazing that they know they can excavate like that and those exposed support beams won't simply collapse.

@the lemur - Haha I literally thought the same thing... like maybe the demo guys kept it for laughs or something. It is kinda an icon around those parts!
@Miscreant - Thank you. "The engineering here blows my mind. It's simply incredible." I totally agree. PS. Not just excavating for more headroom, but they are creating a new sub-level (planned retail/urban market/path mall).

Stupendous pictures.

Why is that derelict Cinnabon sign bringing tears to my eyes?

I wonder what Union Station will smell like when this is all done.

- Paul

Having reread the captions - I would hope that the "passage" behind the hoarding would have a window in it, so people can see this work first hand. It would likely be a positive PR factor for the people who use the station to see just how massive the work behind that hoarding really is.

- Paul

Stupendous pictures.

Why is that derelict Cinnabon sign bringing tears to my eyes?

I wonder what Union Station will smell like when this is all done.

- Paul

We should hold protests if they don't bring Cinnabon back in the lower level! It provided a valuable public service even when not making purchases there.

Also, for anyone tracking this kind of stuff:

I think that the new lower retail under York and VIA is going to open for business ahead of the Bay side of things. Right now there is a brand new concrete block wall right where the main corridor is supposed to be... Like a semi-permanent hoarding I think...

The sections of retail underneath York and VIA are entering final phase. The majority of structural work and mechanical work is nearing completion. Retail spaces are beginning to be defined and walled in, and pretty soon they will be ready for first occupancy.

Having reread the captions - I would hope that the "passage" behind the hoarding would have a window in it, so people can see this work first hand. It would likely be a positive PR factor for the people who use the station to see just how massive the work behind that hoarding really is.

- Paul

Wow. Funny you mention that. I emailed Counc. Mike Layton and Counc. Pam McConnell to mention exactly that. "Free PR opportunity" was the subject line. Yet... three months later... still no window. Sometimes I really wonder about those puppets down at City Hall.

Last edited:

Back