Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Union was always planned to have both a McCafe standalone and a regular McDonalds. That was always the plan to have two, I think it was discovered here in the forums a while back.

Union was always planned to have both a McCafe standalone and a regular McDonalds. That was always the plan to have two, I think it was discovered here in the forums a while back.

I guess it isn't a total surprise. Any idea where the regular McD's will be and when it'll open?

Ah, it's just by first glance it looked like a normal McDs... I still need a place for McFlurry after a Blue Jays game, hopefully the regular one will open sooooooon!

Interesting menu options, will try it out soon.

Also there's a free McCafe coffee truck outside at Front/York today as well!

I feel almost narcissist quoting myself, but this location does indeed sell ice cream. Has cones, sundaes, McFlurries, and also something called a Affogato, which is "made with Oreo® cookie crumbs, our famous soft serve and a shot of espresso". Gonna give that a try later!

Considering how extensive the retail area will be station-wide, does just one McCafé and one McD's seem a bit short? How many Tim's could be competitive throughout the larger station? Starbucks?
I mean, there are two Railroad Coffees currently on one level of one Concourse, yes?

PS How will Union's final retail coverage compare to Montreal Central Station or DC's Union?

And they will charge you extra something that's far cheaper to produce than meat. Charming.

AoD

I'm sure most of the reason things like hamburger patties are cheaper than kale and other leafy vegetables isn't the cost of production, but rather storage. ... you can freeze a hamburger patty (and indeed most meats) but you can't do the same for vegetables that are going to be served uncooked. A salad made of previously frozen greens would be wilted and rather unpalatable.

Some shots from earlier today, starting of course, with McCafé.

DSC08504.jpg
DSC08505.jpg
DSC08507.jpg
DSC08508.jpg
DSC08509.jpg

Attachments

• DSC08504.jpg
    DSC08504.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 4,679
  • DSC08505.jpg
    DSC08505.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 3,472
  • DSC08507.jpg
    DSC08507.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 3,488
  • DSC08508.jpg
    DSC08508.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 3,351
  • DSC08509.jpg
    DSC08509.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 3,362
I'm sure most of the reason things like hamburger patties are cheaper than kale and other leafy vegetables isn't the cost of production, but rather storage. ... you can freeze a hamburger patty (and indeed most meats) but you can't do the same for vegetables that are going to be served uncooked. A salad made of previously frozen greens would be wilted and rather unpalatable.
It's also the cost of shrink, i.e., you're going to have to toss some of those leafy greens and veggies if they don't get used up fast enough. Grocery stores track this kind of shrink carefully, I'm sure restaurants do too.

I guess it isn't a total surprise. Any idea where the regular McD's will be and when it'll open?

What's the difference between a McCafe and a "regular" McD's? There's a McD's in Wasaga Beach with the full menu that's branded as a McCafe. Is it the size?

What's the difference between a McCafe and a "regular" McD's? There's a McD's in Wasaga Beach with the full menu that's branded as a McCafe. Is it the size?
Up until yesterday, there were no stand alone McCafe's in Canada. There are/were a bunch of McDonald's with expanded coffee and breakfast offerings and a section inside the store that was designated McCafe.

In a stand alone McCafe (as I understand it) the emphasis is on coffee, breakfast and healthier/modern snacks/sandwhiches. So in a combined unit you still get the full BigMac/Qpounder/Filet of Fish offering....in a stand alone McCafe those things are gone and replaced with food offerings that are more geared to resemble/compete with Starbucks and similar type chains.

Back