Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yes, the City owns the station itself but Metrolinx owns the tracks and platforms and, I guess, the staircases between them.

It's more complex than that.

Metrolinx owns the tracks, but the City owns the structure above and below it - and that includes the staircases and other accesses.

Dan

penlasdle

Member Bio
Reaction score
Same here (I commute to London, ON), but any grocery store in Union would probably be way overpriced. It's probably less expensive just to hop on the subway up to College park where there's a Sobeys, Metro, and Loblaws.
I'm sorry, this is off topic. But you commute to London every day??

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Just a heads ups, TTC Moat into part of the Bay Concourse will change slightly to add the use of escalators and elevators mid Feb.

The Front St carriageway will be closed off.
Presumably the carriageway will be closed to allow them to complete the stairs etc at the east end of it and the floor at the west end of the east Front Moat. Sounds good!

UPDATE: The escalators in the Bay Concourse were being tested today and the guys (all guys) were working on the stonework on the Union Station level.

Last edited:

BjamesT

Member Bio
Reaction score
Presumably the carriageway will be closed to allow them to complete the stairs etc at the east end of it and the floor at the west end of the east Front Moat. Sounds good!

UPDATE: The escalators in the Bay Concourse were being tested today and the guys (all guys) were working on the stonework on the Union Station level.
Also hoping for dust bunny cleanup. Maybe lighting?

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just walked through the station and got to thinking about the former news kiosk seen in the attached image.

My understanding is that it was created as a homage to the one in Silver Streak but now it is just an oddly placed set of 4 pillars.

Anyone know what the plans are for it?

20200204_141217.jpg

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just walked through the station and got to thinking about the former news kiosk seen in the attached image.

My understanding is that it was created as a homage to the one in Silver Streak but now it is just an oddly placed set of 4 pillars.

View attachment 229168

Don't those pillars support the clock and departure board on the floor above? IIRC the newsstand was created as a way to do something productive with the space. I could be wrong though

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't those pillars support the clock and departure board on the floor above? IIRC the newsstand was created as a way to do something productive with the space. I could be wrong though
Yes, I think you are right - about 20 years ago I had a tour of Union given by Derek Bowles of the Toronto Railways Historical Assn (See: http://www.trha.ca/trha/projects-2/2006-to-2012-union-station-tours/ ) I am pretty sure he told us that the pillars are structural supports.

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
There was some discussion during the Q and A of the timing of the opening of the Bay Concourse at this week's town hall in Burlington. I don't have time at the moment to provide a time marked link so I can update this post later. If anyone else wants to please go ahead.

tnarduzzi

Member Bio
Reaction score

View attachment 229168
I am not sure about any future plans to repurpose the kiosk space into something new but I am fairly confident the pillars are staying. Back in 2014-2015 they put in a lot of work to clean, regrout, and refurbish the marble.