Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Yeah they do look pretty good in those pics, thanks for posting.

It'll be cool to see these things run every 15 min in Toronto.

I have a clear shot of the Weston sub over the Humber, as well as where it meets the CP MacTier sub. If someone can give me dates/times when it comes here for testing, I can try to get some first shots.

The trains are fine but that's not going to be the actual colour is it?

That horrid tan/gold colour reminds me of our refrigerator circa 1975.

Here is another picture of the UP DMUs being tested for Metra in Chicago:

Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 16.27.28.jpg

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/larry84988/14686229047/in/photostream/lightbox/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 16.27.28.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 16.27.28.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,371

AG: Thanks for these pictures...
Everyone: In 2012 there was a discussion on DMU's for the LIRR here:
www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=92544

I feel that the UPE DMU may be a good fit to be tested on the LIRR in Ronkonkoma-Greenport and off-peak
Oyster Bay Branch service (in that order) and it even has the required high-level platform doors...

What DMUs would do for the LIRR is free up needed cars and locomotives to be used on other busy Diesel
routes - the Montauk and Port Jefferson Branches in particular - and offer a added service option for the
previously mentioned Ronkonkoma-Riverhead-Greenport and off-peak Oyster Bay trains...

Bombardier designed a M7 MU type DMU (mentioned in the topic link) but since the UPE DMUs are now under
procurement a add-on order would be significantly cheaper then a new car order...

Yes-I do agree with the mention - the UPE DMU color scheme needs improving...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
In theory, MBTA is a more likely next/first NS major order as their DMU project and the availability of the DMU platform is lining up nicely. In practice the issues with the Rotem coach rollout may mean it getting pushed back in order to ensure current coach replacement is funded.

Bombardier Transportation may be gunshy of committing to a new platform, even one as far along as an M7 derivative, if it can pick up more Multilevel orders instead from MetroNorth and/or SEPTA. At present the rail arm is providing the cash being sucked into the gaping cash black hole that is C Series.

They aren't getting replaced, they are converting the trains to EMU

"The DMUs will be convertible to electric power" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pearson_Express

So we will have these trains for 30 years plus.

Hate to get pedantic but there is a difference between "will be convertible" and "will be converted".....it is highly possible that at the point the line is electrified, it is better to simply buy EMUs and use those diesel DMUs elsewhere or sell 'em (ie. if the net between buying new and the recoverable value of the DMUs is better than the cost of converting them...that is what should happen).

The big issue with reusing the DMUs on the GO network would be how that would be considered acceptable for AODA purposes. The UPX will operate to high floor platforms to which GO trains are not interoperable (unless Metrolinx starts buying multilevels).

One wonders what Nippon Sharyo are hoping for as an outcome. Conversion reduces the pool of sold DMUs but it also puts them into the single level EMU marketplace with a sold product along with Kawasaki, Rotem and Bombardier.

I wonder if a conversion scenario would see "C2" cars arrive with factory electric drive and pantographs then mated to converted A cars, and then depending on market demand the original C cars either converted to electric drive (but without panto) or sold either as a trade-in or to another NS customer.

Last edited:
Hate to get pedantic but there is a difference between "will be convertible" and "will be converted".....it is highly possible that at the point the line is electrified, it is better to simply buy EMUs and use those diesel DMUs elsewhere or sell 'em (ie. if the net between buying new and the recoverable value of the DMUs is better than the cost of converting them...that is what should happen).

Well the EPR and EA for the electrification has the DMU's slated TO BE converted to electric with a budget slated for it.

So considering this is happening for 2017 deadline you better call them up quick to reconsider, because they generally do not like doing what's not written in their EA's

You can read this all here:

http://www.gotransit.com/electrification/en/default.aspx

Happy reading!

Back