Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Blue 22 is a niche service, for business people and tourists, which should not take priority and funding away from the transportation needs of the residents.

I absolutely agree that Blue22 is a niche service, which is why I believe it will be fantastic service that will support the Tourism and Convention industry. At the same time, I'm also a strong supporter of building for the transport needs of residents and I'm confident that the work of Metrolinx in planning for the future of the GTA will meet those needs.

I'm a strong believer that taxpayer money should be going to building a corridor and access to Pearson that benefits both residents and the visitors. I don't see why it only has to be one or the other.

ShonTron:

I suggest you scroll back to the beginning of my comments as I answered your question long before you even asked it!

Mmm, I'm not sure what going back to the 1970's, and talking about places in Scarborough and plans for Pickering airport etc has to do with anything were talking about.

As for Brampton, 450,000 people etc, I don't know why you feel the need to continue to play up those personal bias. Clearly everyone, including myself, supports the plans already underway for all day GO Service to Brampton.

Louroz

Mmm, I'm not sure what going back to the 1970's, and talking about places in Scarborough and plans for Pickering airport etc has to do with anything were talking about.

Because you seem to think that my reason for opposing Blue 22 is because I lived in Brampton. Do you have personal biases supporting transit projects benefiting Mississauga. I also note that alternatives, such as regional rail, will benefit Mississauga as well, particularly Malton.

I just don't believe that taxpayer money should go to private interests for a niche, private, superpremium fare service for a very large corporation. I don't believe that we should start off with a niche service to begin proper service on this crucial corridor, that there's other needs that aren't being addressed.

I absolutely agree that Blue22 is a niche service, which is why I believe it will be fantastic service that will support the Tourism and Convention industry. At the same time, I'm also a strong supporter of building for the transport needs of residents and I'm confident that the work of Metrolinx in planning for the future of the GTA will meet those needs.

I'm a strong believer that taxpayer money should be going to building a corridor and access to Pearson that benefits both residents and the visitors. I don't see why it only has to be one or the other.

I agree. Both can exist together. There is nothing wrong with offering a service that caters only too business people and tourists. And if it takes a bit of taxpayer money to give them their own platform at Union and Pearson so they don't have to mix with everyone else or too persuade them not to use a set of embarrassing, retro tin cans to provide service, so be it.

But that is not what is taking place. There is no plan to build a station at Pearson that can be used by GO, VIA, or Blue 22. The original Blue 22 plan even gave them monopoly over a part of the Weston corridor. And I am glad that Metrolinx now exists and it is starting to meet the bare minimum in transportation requirements in the GTA. But it is a young agency and relying on confidence that things will just work out in the end when it has such a huge task ahead of itself and can easily lose slight of one project or another is not good enough. The plans that exist, or are being discussed, should be scrapped. Give Metrolinx time to put out a proper plan, actually consult with local residents, especially those in Weston, on what the needs of the city are, and how it can benefit and not cause too much burden on those living next to the corridor. And until that happens I hope people continue to be vocal and express their opposition to this plan. As you said, taxpayer money should be going to building a corridor that benefits as many people as possible. Lets see a plan that actually follows that principle.

Pickering Airport isn't scheduled to open until at least 2012 (and I'd guess much later). Perhaps we should start campaigning now so that decent rail transit is there from day one.

Sorry if I'm opening a can of worms here, but...

I know a High Speed Rail link is currently under study in the Windsor-Quebec city corridor. If the train takes the CN northern Mainline route, the length of the line between Union Station and the airport would be electrified. A stop could feasibly be built at Woodbine. I figure, If the infrastructure is going to be in place, why not use it?

The service could be run by GO transit using self propelled electric cars, taking advantage of the electrified line. The trains would run as an express shuttle between Union and Woodbine with stops at the Bloor Subway and Eglinton Crosstown (potentially). Passengers would then transfer shuttle between woodbine and the airport on a dedicated right of way as proposed in the blue 22 plan.

Alternatively, If the Eglinton Crosstown ever gets off the ground, A transfer station could be built there. Express subway trains could then be run between there and the airport through the use of passing lanes at stations. Having a shuttle service between a station at Eglinton and Union would likely please many of the residents of Weston who don't want this service to bypass them.

Of course all of these options would require a transfer, however these transfers could be timed so passengers could easily change from one train to another. And by requiring a transfer at a subway station, the service would also be used by local commuters who use the GO and TTC.

[EDIT] I Google Mapped something together. Link.

Hi dunkalunk,

Welcome to the forum. Good to see a fellow duck share similar opinions about a project.

A regional rail station, as opposed to a premium luxury service, would benefit the 50,000 people who work at Pearson throughout the day as well as the countless others who work in the gigantic office and industrial parks concentrated in that area.

Most other cities that have a direct-to-downtown express rail service from their airport (eg: London, Hong Kong, Shanghai [metro expansion to open in 2010])are supplemented by regional rail service or subways that serve the majority of actual users.

On a side note, I can't think of a more embarassing way to enter a city than on a 60 year old railcar. I think that even Cubans would find this charmingly antiquated.

Well, that's not really entirely fair. Think of it as recycling! It's really just the stainless steel frame that's preserved, and why throw that away if you don't have to?

I wonder how many people will honestly need or benefit from a non-stop rail link (as opposed to a line that makes a few stops like at Bloor/Eglinton/Woodbine). If someone needs to get to the airport ASAP, wouldn't they still take a taxi? For example, 20 minute trips leaving every 20 minutes could be, in reality, an hour long trip when you factor in missing trains and the time it takes to get to Union from random homes/offices downtown. I'm not in favour of an express line that preempts or prevents a modicum of local service on what is undeniably a vital corridor with loads of potential...I think a line with some local stops plus a moderately expanded Island airport could be more useful than just an express link to Pearson.

On a side note, I can't think of a more embarassing way to enter a city than on a 60 year old railcar. I think that even Cubans would find this charmingly antiquated.

Ex-London Underground 1938 stock still operates on the Isle of Wight, and while I haven't been there, they look pretty spiffy from pictures I've seen.

I think Scarberiankhatru hit it right... No one wants to see an express line that stands in the way of local service. Express service should be offered, but secondary to regional rail in the Weston corridor.

A luxury ride on RDCs? Yabba-dabba-doo!

Rail link, airport rail link,
Take a ride through history!
Pearson, to Union Station,
On a 60-year old RDC!

Coming, oh so very late,
Praying the cars don't distintegrate!
When you're on the rail link,
It'll a gouge crime,
A private rail line,
It'll be a useless line!

["Coming, oh so very late," replaces my original lyric "Coming in the year 2000-8"]

I wonder how many people will honestly need or benefit from a non-stop rail link (as opposed to a line that makes a few stops like at Bloor/Eglinton/Woodbine). If someone needs to get to the airport ASAP, wouldn't they still take a taxi? For example, 20 minute trips leaving every 20 minutes could be, in reality, an hour long trip when you factor in missing trains and the time it takes to get to Union from random homes/offices downtown. I'm not in favour of an express line that preempts or prevents a modicum of local service on what is undeniably a vital corridor with loads of potential...I think a line with some local stops plus a moderately expanded Island airport could be more useful than just an express link to Pearson.

Airport rail links are very popular, even with people who can pay for a taxi. Often they take the cab to the train station. The difference is that the train can guarantee a 20 minute trip, even in rush hour. A good airport rail service will also allow you to check in and check your bags downtown, avoiding lines at the airport.

I've been travelling a bit recently, and it just seems totally ridiculous and backward that we don't have a decent rail service to the airport. I strongly support both a frequent regional rail service, and a high-speed, comfortable express service with though-checked bags.

Ah, the checked-bag service argument. How many airports offer this? Hong Kong, maybe Madrid, Heathrow. I don't know of any North American cities that have this.

Would this be offered for transborder trips? Would the US government support that?

Yes, I'm sure airport links are popular (partially because they are 'official' routes to get to the airport), but would adding a few minutes to the trip (via a few local stops) and the lack of a checked baggage option be that much of a dealbreaker?

I don't get it, though...what's wrong with blue 22 if there's a parallel regional rail service too? They serve different markets. Isn't more rail service, more cars off the roads, more convenient access to downtown a good thing?

Back