Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Hopefully this will be up at the broadsheets tomorrow, but for now, going to have to quote the Sun:
[TORONTO - Ontario’s transportation minister is cracking down on Metrolinx, ordering a sweeping review of the troubled transit agency.

The Toronto Sun has learned Steven Del Duca informed Metrolinx chairman Rob Prichard of the probe March 9, writing that he wants to improve “oversight and accountability” of the agency.

Del Duca said the transit agency’s staff are to work with the ministry of transportation’s (MTO) chief administrative officer on the review and it is to be completed no later than Sept. 30, with an interim report on his desk by June 30.

“This analysis will not only help ensure the effective assessment of operations, but will also provide input into subsequent agency budget planning work,” Del Duca said in a letter obtained by the Sun.

The minister wants the sweeping review to look at five different aspects of Metrolinx operations:][...continues at length...]
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/04/mto-upping-oversight-of-metrolinx

I think most of us will agree, it's as much what *isn't mentioned* as is. Also, it's no use blaming just the troops for losing battles. As much as there is blame at the top, there's also plenty at Queen's Park too, if not the ultimate responsibility.

I'm just saying --relatively speaking-- UPX seems to be quite behind GO in delay announcements.
I have had only one experience with UPX, so I can't comment on the comparison, but will say that GO appears to have improved a lot. Even if they don't have the details to tell riders, they realize that they must at least acknowledge that there's a problem. TTC doing much the same on the subway. Most passengers know that poop happens, but what really irks is the dead silence as used to happen before. Keep passengers in the loop as much as possible, it's only respectful to do so, and then they'll have the confidence that they'll be informed of the details as soon as they are available.

Last edited:
Maybe we will see a major shakeup of Metrolinx that I have being calling for the past year.

Having no official words or comments as to why the delay took place is more egg in the face on this white elephant.

I don't recall seeing this posted in this thread so I thought I'd share--at the Union Pearson Express Union Station, they have replaced a couple of the silver UPX presto terminals with the green GO ones. They have also added these large signs indicating when to use either machine. I only looked through the station briefly, but there seem to be two places they have done this: my photo is a bit towards the west end of the station nearer the video wall, the other location is right at the entrance from the skywalk where there is a reader on either side of the large entryway to the station (one UPX, one GO); in both locations I believe there were previously 2 of the UPX readers. There were definitely no GO readers in the station previously.

I'm definitely glad they did this. It would have sucked for riders wanting GO loyalty discounts/transfers for Union-Bloor-Weston travel to have to go all the way to the "secret" platform 3 door east of the station, or tap down in the teamway or concourse...glad they had the presence of mind to install these. I'm even more inclined now to believe that they will completely get rid of the silver UPX readers and solely use the GO ones at some point in the future, including at Pearson, rather than simply reprogramming the UPX readers--why go through the trouble of swapping these ones out if they're just planning on a mass reprogramming of the silver ones in a couple of months?

The situation was also similar at Bloor--I'm not that familiar with the station but I think I saw a couple more GO readers near the UPX area than I had last time. If I recall correctly, though, Weston already had plenty of both at various locations. They did, however, add these same information plaques by the machines at Bloor. The plaques are definitely excellent in general, as I doubt the average GO/UPX rider has read the FAQ, but one very important piece of information has been omitted, which is that you have to tap on and off on the same type of machine.

IMG_1383.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5,845
The situation was also similar at Bloor--I'm not that familiar with the station but I think I saw a couple more GO readers near the UPX area than I had last time.
You did, but this is due to the abject lack of machines until the station renos were finished. I had more than one bout of uncontrolled swearing desperately running around with bike looking for a machine to tap-on when I first used the station in recent history in the Fall.

What you post is very good news though, the Change is here!

What has appeared at Bloor last time I poked my head in going home from work along Bloor was that they've *finally* subbed a yellow front to the 'Balance Check' machine, as one of the reasons Presto was going berserk (and I went even more so) was I was tapping on and off on it, thinking it was a 'Pay Fare' machine. When your mind is elsewhere, it's a very easy mistake to make, or hard of seeing or not of the sharpest of mind. What freakin' bozzo had the idea to make the machines look almost identical? So some poindexter figured out to make them look different. Wow...no wonder the org is in deep trouble...

I know, let's make all the traffic lights look almost the same, and it's only if you read the fine print you'll know whether to go or not...

[I'm even more inclined now to believe that they will completely get rid of the silver UPX readers]

So I wonder how all the 'trappings' will be re-used? Can't just throw this stuff away. Anyone have suggestions for their 'second life'?

Last edited:
On another note, I just recalled this from reading something on the UPX twitter feed: when I rode the UPX from Union to Bloor and back yesterday (April 5th), they did not check my Presto card during either trip. Nobody came around to check tickets until right before we arrived at Bloor when I was heading up, and due to the very busy (~80% full) train they were still far behind me when I got off. On my return trip from Bloor to Union, there was no fare inspection at all. Since they even offer to sell tickets by credit card on board, people could ride completely legitimately expecting to purchase their fare onboard and end up riding free. In the past, fare inspections heading out of Union or Pearson began quite soon after departing the station (even if the train is full, if you start promptly there should be enough time to do a full car--usually one rep per car doing a check), and I found that when I boarded at Bloor or Weston I was inspected immediately upon either entering or sitting down. Nothing this time. Not sure if it was a one-off, or a result of the cheaper/busier service in some way, or what...

Not sure if it was a one-off, or a result of the cheaper/busier service in some way, or what...
With vegeta writing two days back: [There was an incident on the line today but I'm not at liberty to be more specific than that.] and this....it's a little premature to think this, but in light of all that's falling apart at UPX...there might be an ongoing grievance with the staff. Morale must be low...

Yes, I noticed the signage encourages you to choose either GO or UPX for the same non-Pearson tap.
Signs look okay, but they should have had a big "Presto Card" logo on them, though -- so newbies know what it is for.

Definitely need to merge Presto functionality eventually so you don't have separate readers. But for an interim quick-fix, this is okay.

Fare inspectors must be getting suddenly overworked since this route uses 100% fare inspection.

Long-term, I wonder if a possible cost-cutting move might be the new-streetcar-style method -- an onboard fare machine -- so that 100% fare inspection isn't structurally mandatory.

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed the signage encourages you to choose either GO or UPX for the same non-Pearson tap.
Signs look okay, but they should have had a big "Presto Card" logo on them, though -- so newbies know what it is for.

Definitely need to merge Presto functionality eventually so you don't have separate readers. But for an interim quick-fix, this is okay.

Fare inspectors must be getting suddenly overworked since this route uses 100% fare inspection.

Long-term, I wonder if a possible cost-cutting move might be the new-streetcar-style method -- an onboard fare machine -- so that 100% fare inspection isn't structurally mandatory.

Naaa!!! Just do away with then on the car and do what they do in Europe and a few places in the US,

At various point and time, the car is swarm with 10-15 plain cloths inspectors that pull out their badge and ask you for profit you paid your fare. If not, you are taken off the car and ticket.

The first time I had it happen to me, I thought it was a gang out to rob and beat people up until the badges came out.

Some systems have both platform/station fare machines as well on board the car.

Regardless what you do for fare machines, you will always need fare inspectors.

I mean I know the ridership of the UPX is increasing, but each train has an attendant that does the fare inspection. I recall some trains with more than one fare inspector. For a while, it was off a 2:1 job. I think that's part of the reason this route is so expensive to run...each train requires 2 personnel to run.

As someone who rides UPX regularly, this made me spit out my coffee.
I take your word for it -- I haven't yet ridden UPX since the fare drop, as I haven't had itineraries going that direction yet. (Visited and walked by the station several times, yes -- but not ridden post-decrease)

So it's more from "lazy job on mostly empty trains" to "just slightly less cushy job" -- rather than a "lazy"-to-"suddenly stressful" job. And the morale issues is caused by other things, like anxious cost-cutting management.

Last edited:
Regardless what you do for fare machines, you will always need fare inspectors.
Good points, drum -- a swam of inspectors would be quite a sight by lazy Toronto standards.
Not as pleasant a disturbance from my morning coffee, though!

Regardless, they could go down to 10% fare inspection instead of 100%. More than GO, but less than today. And potentially go attendant-less on some vehicles, if they desperately needed to do major cost-cutting moves during Metrolinx's unexpected gradual integration of UPX into RER in their about-face.

If ridership keeps going up, they should go the skytrain way. Bring in the fare gates!

Since ML is going the route of introducing RER and attract more typical off peak riders, fare evasion would go up.

Reactions: rbt
Took the UPX home from Jays Home Opener Friday. It was packed, standing room only, wouldn't be surprised if not everyone got on. Forgot to check whether they had the presence of mind to be running a 3 car train. The fare inspector started at the seats in front of me, and proceeded to spend the entire time from Union to Bloor with this couple. I was next and she never got to me. I guess they had to buy tickets on the train, but 7 minutes?

By all reports fare evasion on GO is very low given how infrequently they check, but if they catch you the fine is very high. On UPX, if they weren't checking all the time there would be little incentive to tap on (other than basic morality, but we all know how that works) because you can just buy the ticket on board. But given that this is a service welcoming people to the city I think it has to stay that way. They do not however seem to have developed an efficient fare inspector system. They are juggling 2 devices (Presto checker different from ticket pos), if they hit someone who hasn't purchased a ticket it seems to take them forever, and if you get on a crowded train at, for example, Bloor, the inspectors seem to be confused about who just got on the train and needs to be checked.

Back