Toronto Union Park | 303.26m | 58s | Oxford Properties | Pelli Clarke Pelli

If you had to guess when would demolition start?
in 2012, first time Oxford proposed this project. that was the peak time for Office projects, this project didnt take off back then. i think we can say this project wont move forward for atleast 5+ years, could even be a decade and we can probably see a redesign as well. so forget about it at the moment.

in 2012, first time Oxford proposed this project. that was the peak time for Office projects, this project didnt take off back then. i think we can say this project wont move forward for atleast 5+ years, could even be a decade and we can probably see a redesign as well. so forget about it at the moment.
Excellent good news!

Yes, a redesign in a few years before building this thing gets built might save it and us. I vote for Jean Nouvel.

An interesting choice. Now are you thinking some of his more squat phallic shapes, LOL, (I'm hoping not)...........or are you thinking his burst of colour in Marseilles?

1666980534434.png

Credit: Stéphane Aboudaram

Or his sharper angled work:

1666980602429.png

Tour Hekla, from: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...il_2022.jpeg/260px-Tour_Hekla_Avril_2022.jpeg

Or you do prefer his attempt at gardening in Kuala Lumpur?:

1666980675251.png

From: https://www.verticalgardenpatrickbl...lgardenskualalumpuraug2018.jpeg?itok=uZba3Wsr

I just had the weirdest thought..........looking at my post above...........and thinking of '42's comments.........

If you combined the green, the red and a slight variation on the sharp angles seen above, you could have the decorated Christmas Tree Tower.

It would certainly be unique, I think.............

Hmmmm

Got mail from the city on the zoning change that passed in council with regard to Union Park. I went to the community reviews of this build as I live kitty-corner at 20 Blue Jays Way. I have to say that I’m disappointed that only 32 of 832 units are classified affordable rental
.View attachment 418096View attachment 418097
Deal was for 4% of total units as "Affordable Rental" for 40-Years (at 100% of CMHC AMR - including Utilities) w/ 40% of them as 2 or 3 Bedroom Units.

That's honestly about as good a deal as you will get from a Government Pension Fund / Developer.

Details - https://secure.toronto.ca/council/agenda-item.do?item=2022.TE34.33

1679400408943.png

1679400498371.png

No new news. Sorry to bump but the revelation that Simon’s is being aggressively courted by several major developers has me thinking that maybe Oxford would like to see them as one of a few anchors for this stretch of Front which is increasingly becoming a major node for just about everything! lol I know that there is a very big retail component here.

No new news. Sorry to bump but the revelation that Simon’s is being aggressively courted by several major developers has me thinking that maybe Oxford would like to see them as one of a few anchors for this stretch of Front which is increasingly becoming a major node for just about everything! lol I know that there is a very big retail component here.

Not even remotely on the radar.

Simons keeps come up all over the map. I wish it were true but do department stores want to expand anywhere these days?
So turns out Simons expanded into Halifax literally yesterday lol.

Also their CEO has said Toronto and Vancouver are underserved by their stores, so they're almost certainly looking at options in Toronto. What those options are though, idk.

Simons keeps come up all over the map. I wish it were true but do department stores want to expand anywhere these days?

Generally speaking, department stores are in retreat but Simons is bucking the trend. Like you, I'd be very pleased if they open a Toronto store to compliment the one in Mississauga. Square One is a bit of a trek and downtown could surely support more than Hudson Bay/Saks.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, department stores are in retreat but Simons is bucking the trend. Like you, I'd be very pleased if they open a Toronto store to compliment the one in Mississauga. Square One is a bit of a trek and downtown could surely support more than Hudson Bay/Saks.
Alternatively, the emptied out former
Nordstrom spaces could use a new tenant.

Back