Toronto U of T: Victoria University Integrated Learning Centre | 24m | 5s | U of T | Brook McIlroy

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
73 QUEEN'S PARK CRES E
Ward 11 - Tor & E.York District

Proposed Official Plan Amendment and Rezoning application for a new 5-storey 7,024 square metre institutional building for Victoria University - University of Toronto.

Northrop Frye Hall is the current building at the 73 Queen's Park Cres E address:

Northrop Frye Hall is the current building at the 73 Queen's Park Cres E address:

View attachment 198832

? How odd, to replace a building of 4 floors with one of 5.

The current building is unremarkable inside and out, but matches the adjacent library rather well.

I had a few classes there over the years.

Hmmmm

So, I did a bit of searching, trying to find any reference to what was happening to Northrop Frye...........

I found only one reference, in this link, text follows:

Northrop Frye Hall, one of Victoria College’s main academic buildings, will soon be undergoing redevelopment; the result will be a well-planned landmark that will enhance the delivery of academic programs and services.

Northrop Frye Hall fits into Victoria College's campus and the built environment around Queen's Park nicely with its stone cladding and proportions. It provides a good sense of enclosure for the inner laneway at the core of Victoria College's scenic campus. It isn't architecturally stellar by any means, but it'll be more difficult to replace it competently than it appears at first glance.

Last edited:
The floor plate looks about a ⅓ larger, maybe more.

The east and west lines look to follow the existing footprint fairly closely, the obvious addition is the bumpout to the south.

Curious to me that they are replacing 1 lecture theatre, with 1 lecture theatre.

The 'Student Experience Space' (why does that name make me laugh?) is much larger than one small lounge now, and appears to replace about 3-4 classrooms if memory serves; which then reappear in the upper levels.

Definitely a much more open and inviting space in the interior than what it will replace. The move to open-concept stairs is nice; currently the stairs as you get higher up feel fairly cut off from their surroundings.

Also gonna add space-needs wise, Vic is scheduled to take over the McKinsey Building on Charles in 2029 or so (I might be off by a year) . Vic could takeover that building possibly in 2019 (haven't heard anything) or 2024, depending on lease negotiations/preference by McKinsey. That might play into timeline for this being built.

The existing building is from 1967. Mid-Century.

I'd argue this could be designated on the heritage inventory.

The interior is rather generic. The exterior is handsome at best and derivative and forgettable at worst. I don't think that it's a heritage building. However, it would be a loss if the new building didn't honour Northrop Frye's legacy in its name (unless there was some other gesture on the College's part to honour his legacy).

If memory serves me right, they've been planning to do something about Northrop Frye Hall for years, possibly as early as the last E.J. Pratt reno. Last I had heard they were going to just renovate, but that it would be a major project because of all of the asbestos in the building. I guess they've just decided to replace it outright.
Hopefully they retain the name Northrop Frye Hall. I hate it when naming simply goes to the largest donor.
'
Also gonna add space-needs wise, Vic is scheduled to take over the McKinsey Building on Charles in 2029 or so (I might be off by a year) . Vic could takeover that building possibly in 2019 (haven't heard anything) or 2024, depending on lease negotiations/preference by McKinsey. That might play into timeline for this being built.

McKinsey building is actually currently being gutted (could see through the windows from the street). I believe they are moving back though, and are temporarily leasing space on University Ave. (???).

McKinsey building is actually currently being gutted (could see through the windows from the street). I believe they are moving back though, and are temporarily leasing space on University Ave. (???).

I thought it was going to be a McKinsey related start up incubator space or something like that, but that was a year or two ago.

Back