Toronto U of T: University of Toronto Schools | 20.42m | 3s | Diamond Schmitt

20220423_161548.jpg
20220423_161525.jpg
20220423_161629.jpg
20220423_161645.jpg
20220423_162307.jpg
20220423_162312.jpg

The next phase of UTS: the older section closer to Spadina will get a couple towers added to it.

The next phase of UTS: the older section closer to Spadina will get a couple towers added to it.

Just to be clear, the oldest sections of UTS is what were just renovated and expanded (1910, 1924). The first bit of the west section came along in 1931, but the bulk of it is from 1949 and 1958. Personally, I would not mind if every shred of the 1949 and 58 extensions disappeared, but I'd hope that 1931 section retained its character. The whole project is looking quite ambitious, including tying at least some of the Washington Street-fronting homes to the south into it. I'm looking forward to seeing what they propose here…

Just to be clear, the oldest sections of UTS is what were just renovated and expanded (1910, 1924). The first bit of the west section came along in 1931, but the bulk of it is from 1949 and 1958. Personally, I would not mind if every shred of the 1949 and 58 extensions disappeared, but I'd hope that 1931 section retained its character. The whole project is looking quite ambitious, including tying at least some of the Washington Street-fronting homes to the south into it. I'm looking forward to seeing what they propose here…

We have a thread for this.

I love what UoT is doing with this, but they REALLY need to get some cash into the bunkers on Charles Street West.
It blew my mind when I found out those buildings were UoT ... ugh.

The building at Yonge and Charles is getting its retail level facelifted, we've been discussing that over in the Bloor-Yorkville Scene thread, in the retail section.

So far as I know, there are no plans to alter the tower's exterior appearance.

I'm not aware of any plans for the building further west, on the south side of Charles at this time.

This project was carried out by University of Toronto Schools, not University of Toronto @Lyphe . While UofT originally founded the school, the school has been independent of the university since 2004. They are not the same entity

UofT owns the site and building, and the school only has a long term lease. The school had to raise the funds for the refurbishment/extension, get the building designed and approved, and carry out the construction. The school actually has a smaller footprint after the construction work than before, even with the extension on the east end of the site.

This project was carried out by University of Toronto Schools, not University of Toronto @Lyphe . While UofT originally founded the school, the school has been independent of the university since 2004. They are not the same entity

UofT owns the site and building, and the school only has a long term lease. The school had to raise the funds for the refurbishment/extension, get the building designed and approved, and carry out the construction. The school actually has a smaller footprint after the construction work than before, even with the extension on the east end of the site.

* not to be too pedantic.........but

Yes, UTS is no longer managed through OISE.............and it does have an independent board..........

But, it is formally affiliated with the University of Toronto.

1661892319690.png

The affiliation is not financial. The affiliation is an "in-kind" relationship. The school pays rental on any and all UofT spaces it uses.

The kids get T-cards, and have limited access to the libraries, but no access to UofT wi-fi etc. Staff have some privileges in terms of tuition. There is "goodwill" from some of the UofT departments for activities e.g. Monk helps out with speakers for Model UN etc. Kids get to take courses at UofT if they have exhausted the courses available at UTS - this is open to all schools, but easier if they are at UTS.

The building work was paid for by the school though, not the university.

Ty.

Back