Toronto U of T: Schwartz Reisman Innovation Centre (Phase 1) | 64.8m | 13s | U of T | Weiss/Manfredi

My greater concern is where philanthropy may unduly influence the research or teaching direction of an institution.
Is that inherently negative?

If for instance, these two philanthropists specifically desired their money to go towards supporting artificial intelligence research at UofT, then why not?

If for instance, these two philanthropists specifically desired their money to go towards supporting artificial intelligence research at UofT, then why not?

I was replying to @Student99 s post.

I used the word 'unduly' to distinguish from a reasonable influence.

I also noted I wasn't applying that to this particular donation.

The concern is not someone supporting a university project they wish to get behind; it's creating or growing one line of research at the expense of others based on their personal whim rather than the objective merits.

Or may also be about micromanagement of said research, possibly for personal gain. It's not as if that hasn't happened before, or recently.

I actually think it’s prwtty exciting, I like that it had some pyramid vibes going on. I think it will make the intersection really feel more exciting. The existing structures though handsome are certainly less grand than the other structures in the area.

I'm fairly sure many of the offices in those two buildings are just going to be absorbed into the new complex. The Banting and Best Buildings themselves will just simply cease to be.

It is kind of sad how money talks over at U of T. There are 3 Jackman buildings now. Two Goldring buildings. Whatever happened to naming buildings after notable alumni who made groundbreaking achievements in their fields.
Kudos to the philanthropists who just donate and choose to remain anonymous.
Are you really Shi**ing on someone for giving up 100 million dollars of their own money??? hahaha in exchange for a NAME! Just take the money and say thank you.

Are you really Shi**ing on someone for giving up 100 million dollars of their own money??? hahaha in exchange for a NAME! Just take the money and say thank you.
In exchange for a name, a sizeable amount of publicity, and millions of dollars less (due to donation write off) in tax revenue for all purposes, including third level education.

The challenge is to ensure government doesn't slack off on funding when "philanthropy" is involved. Less "sexy" fields depend on that $.

Also, there was a good Globe piece on the ROM a couple of years ago where many donations were never paid over after the institution had made a big deal announcing them.

Actually its not, the rendering is an illusion and shows them looking much taller?.. they're planned @ 12s + 20s
if u look at the older renders, it is just 13+floors and if u look at the new one its 22+floors.

P.C. Database

if u look at the older renders, it is just 13+floors and if u look at the new one its 22+floors.
View attachment 178321

P.C. Database
Nothing has changed, there are 2 phases, the 1st is 12s the 2nd is 20s...thats the old rendering only showing the 1st phase

The Centre will be constructed in two phases. The first phase will be a 250,000-square-foot, 12-storey tower, while the second phase will be a 500,000-square-foot, 20-storey tower ....... https://www.utoronto.ca/news/landma...erald-schwartz-and-heather-reisman-will-power

Does anyone else feel that the architectural design is unexciting?
I think the main issue I have is that the ground level is not going to be particularly interesting especially for a street that's already fairly institutional, it's going to be one long continuous expanse of glass.

Yeah, we're getting far too many conjoined-splintered-ascending-truncated pyramidal building forms with textural cladding these days!
I wonder if there might be some merit in switching up the cladding colour for the second phase- maybe in black or dark grey?

Back