Toronto U of T: Robarts Library Renovations & Robarts Common | ?m | ?s | U of T | Diamond Schmitt

E0526BA9-2B6A-450C-872D-04C37213CA36.jpeg

From today’s walkabout with @ev25.4

Perhaps but I loathed the lecture halls and classrooms there. Only saving grace was the faculty club bar across the street that I used to drink at when I was a TA.

This looks ridiculous. It doesn't work with the architecture of Robarts at all. Quite the contrary, it almost looks like the goal was to hide as much of Robarts as possible. The only thing that will restore Robarts is the removal of this addition.

So they didn't think about how the cross-bracing would look through the clear glass?
I think they were trying to emulate / play off of the diagonal creases in the glass frontage. This addition has grown on me. I appreciate the details like the brown cubes (columns?) peeking through the glass. It makes it look like the Robarts building is latching onto this new section and brings some sort of cohesion between glass and the concrete mass behind.

I think they were trying to emulate / play off of the diagonal creases in the glass frontage. This addition has grown on me. I appreciate the details like the brown cubes (columns?) peeking through the glass. It makes it look like the Robarts building is latching onto this new section and brings some sort of cohesion between glass and the concrete mass behind.

What I meant was one set of bracing matches the angle of the crease, while the other does not.

Back