Toronto U of T: Robarts Library Renovations & Robarts Common | ?m | ?s | U of T | Diamond Schmitt

For comparison's sake of the construction status, I found a couple old photos from around a year ago May 7th, 2019:

20190507_165938.jpg
20190507_170037.jpg

Disagree. I quite like the high transparency here.

Me too -- I think the transparency is a useful counterpoint to the opacity of the extant concrete. (I still don't like the addition overall, as I don't think it's a good way to handle an iconic brutalist building, but I think the transparency is a decent way of mitigating the degree of its sacrilege.)

Me too -- I think the transparency is a useful counterpoint to the opacity of the extant concrete. (I still don't like the addition overall, as I don't think it's a good way to handle an iconic brutalist building, but I think the transparency is a decent way of mitigating the degree of its sacrilege.)
And makes it less fortress-like. A small victory in a lost battle.

Have to say I am not a huge fan of this - it isn't horrid by any means, but it felt not sufficiently dignified up against Robarts. I would have preferred something that provides more texture that would compliment and humanize Fort Book.

AoD

Last edited:

Back