Toronto U of T: Landscape of Landmark Quality | ?m | 1s | U of T | MVVA

Is University College ever going to to have its exterior stonework cleaned? It has been covered in soot for generations. It looks disgraceful. Every time that I see it in person, or photos, I just want to take my power washer to it and reveal the natural beauty and tones of the stone.

Is this complete?

Not quite, very close, but the vehicle parking entrance is still exposed and landscaping is still required at the south end of Hart House Circle as well as by the west end of Temerty, should be wrapped by the end of May.

Lots of baby Cherry Blossom trees are blooming around the field!

tempImageId52uc.jpg

Is University College ever going to to have its exterior stonework cleaned? It has been covered in soot for generations. It looks disgraceful. Every time that I see it in person, or photos, I just want to take my power washer to it and reveal the natural beauty and tones of the stone.
Whaaat? That's part of its character. I'm not sure but the blackened exterior might be due to the fire a hundred years ago.

Whaaat? That's part of its character. I'm not sure but the blackened exterior might be due to the fire a hundred years ago.

How Toronto to view soot, dirt, run down, shabby and/or neglect as 'character'. In most places around the world, restoration is the preference.

How Toronto to view soot, dirt, and/or neglect as 'character'. In most places around the world, restoration is the preference.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with the poster's preference, turning one poster's view into 'Toronto' writ large is rather BlogTO in the way of generalizing. Its not good form.

I wish they carried over some of this design language towards St George Street as well. There's no need for that street to be as car-centric as it is.

I wish they carried over some of this design language towards St George Street as well. There's no need for that street to be as car-centric as it is.

?

St. George is car-centric?

It only has one lane in each direction and has bike lanes.

It was completely re-done 20+ years ago to narrow it from 4 lanes when it really was car centric.

I think a couple of modest tweaks on St. George could be made, by removing some embayed parking. Where this is done, it may be possible to upgrade one or both bike lanes (each direction) to cycle tracks. In front of Robarts is an obviously choice.

But on balance I would not describe St. George as car-centric.

Character? If anything, the soot detracts from its architectural beauty. Compare the clean tones of the main entrance, and the arched windows above, to the rest of the building. Speaking of which, does anyone know why those features are relatively clean compared to the rest of the building, which looks like it is covered in Predator (1987) mud?

38FDF4CA-D02A-4FCD-86D0-D6397C28626E.jpeg

Back