Toronto U of T: John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design | 18.9m | 3s | U of T | NADAAA

But wasn't there news today that U of T is in serious debt and has to close its comparative literature department? How might that affect these grand plans?

These are two different faculties we're talking about. Plus, capital money and operational money come in different budget lines.

I could see a new building on the northern part of the site with a glass atrium connection - a la Koerner Hall and the old Conservatory building Bloor.

So,
230 College St, Office dA OR 1 Spadina Cres?

Can anybody tell me what's exactly going to happen to the architecture school of one of the most prestigious and beloved universities in Canada?

Last edited:
So,
230 College St, Office dA OR 1 Spadina Cres?

Can anybody tell me what's exactly going to happen to the architecture school of one of the most prestigious and beloved universities in Canada?

Faculty of Architecture will move to 1 Spadina Cres. Shuffling around of what's currently at 1 Spadina isn't slated to begin until at least February, if not later.
230 College St will eventually become the U of T "Student Commons"- a student center for clubs, etc.

Faculty of Architecture will move to 1 Spadina Cres. Shuffling around of what's currently at 1 Spadina isn't slated to begin until at least February, if not later.
230 College St will eventually become the U of T "Student Commons"- a student center for clubs, etc.

Thanks for the information! But, is the U of T school of architecture going to have the entire island and the Gothic Revival building or just a part of it? Could you give me more detailed info. on it?

Last edited:
The plan was for all of the art, design and architecture programs to be consolidated in 1 Spadina or so I've heard. This is definitely good news if it happens. Synergies between programs will enhance the creative milieu!

citybuilding_480.jpg

Image courtesy of U of T Magazine

http://www.magazine.utoronto.ca/life-on-campus/city-building-one-spadina-john-lorinc/

Nice! (Emphasis mine): “We didn’t want just another glass box. This project needs to raise the bar for Toronto,” says [Dean Richard] Sommer, who anticipates it will be complete within three years.

It's weird and disappointing that all that they're planning is only going into three storeys. Hasn't U of T reached the point where they need to start building taller than three storeys to optimize their limited space?

If the needs of the Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design can be met in a three-storey pavilion added to the north side of the old Knox College building, why would they want to go larger/taller there? Two reasons stand out for me:

1) The Faculty should have a building that is identifiably theirs to anyone passing by. "That's the U of T Architecture Building" said Craig as he toured his friends quickly through the campus, hoping to get to Guu before the line-up got crazy.
Not having to share a larger building with other faculties is very helpful in creating a sense of belonging and ownership for both students and fac.

2) We're talking about a Gothic revival building that has looked down Spadina Avenue for 137 years. Do we really want to compromise the vista from the south significantly? Too much of our heritage is altered beyond recognition or gone entirely already. That said, I'm looking forward to some needed restoration and minimal modern insertions into the building's public realm.

The north side has never been more than parking lot and shabby afterthought additions, and it distinctly feels like an unloved back-side. Transforming it into something boldly contemporary is rather exciting. It has been a complete waste of a vista point in this city from that side. NADAAA certainly has some fascinating designs in their portfolio, and that teaser of a rendering above has me anticipating what is to come.

Great news indeed. I've long considered Spadina Circle to be an interesting feature in our urban fabric but was under-utilized in terms of potential and functionality. Years of neglect and the sorry state of the north side has left it feeling disconnected and forgotten. I'm also impressed by how the rendering depicts pedestrian/public space on the interior of Spadina Circle. The development of the dead space will rejuvenate the overall aesthetic appeal of the Circle and integrate it back into U of T's rich inventory of buildings.

In the past decade, the UofT has done great work integrating new with old, and not because it used historical styles. The Davenport building still feels like a 1970's building but with more warmth and better integration with the plaza. The Gerstein library addition facing into Queen's Park is a soothing light filled space, steps away from the fantastic book grottos. I'm optimistic this project will continue this trajectory of good design.

This is a fantastic plan. I can only hope that the influence spreads southward, leading to a complete makeover/redevelopment of Spadina between a block south a College and a block north of Queen...

This sounds awesome. The view terminus up Spadina is fantastic. Good to hear it will be preserved (and the heritage building renovated!).

Back