Toronto U of T: John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design | 18.9m | 3s | U of T | NADAAA

a double facade, eh? this is both intriguing and bizarre. i don't think i've ever seen this executed on a heritage building before. i personally enjoy the original building very much. it's very handsome and traditional. but i can't wait to see more detailed renders of what's to come. this will certainly jazz up college street.

a double facade, eh? this is both intriguing and bizarre. i don't think i've ever seen this executed on a heritage building before. i personally enjoy the original building very much. it's very handsome and traditional. but i can't wait to see more detailed renders of what's to come. this will certainly jazz up college street.

It's been done with the Hespeler Library.
711_Hespeler%20Library%20-%20Cambridge.jpg

One thing I find odd is that after all this time, the existing building has *never* been even listed, much less designated...

UofT: Daniels Faculty of Architecture Reno

http://www.magazine.utoronto.ca/new/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/oda-daniels.pdf

Green House
$40-million renovation would give Daniels Faculty of Architecture a gleaming new glass “skin”

By Scott Anderson

building_courtesyofofficeda_90.jpg

A proposed renovation to the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design calls for the century-old facility to be transformed into a model of sustainability.

The striking design, by Boston-based architects Office dA, would give the building a gleaming new glass “skin” and green roof. The creation of a double facade that can be sealed in winter to keep heat inside and opened at other times to increase airflow will help reduce the building’s energy use by 60 to 70 per cent, according to the architects’ proposal. More efficient plumbing fixtures and the use of rainwater will reduce tap water consumption by 40 per cent.

The renovation, which is contingent on fundraising, would make better use of existing space and allow the faculty to expand. Design studios, which haven’t changed since the 1960s, would be updated, and dedicated space would be created for undergraduate students.

Work on the $40-million project is expected to begin in late 2010 and proceed in phases while classes continue. The faculty was renamed in 2008 to recognize an historic gift by alumnus John Daniels (BArch 1950) and his wife, Myrna Daniels.

Last edited by a moderator:
They won't be wrecking it. One day in the not to distant future when the gleaming new glass skin is totally dated and falling apart it will be removed and the original building restored.

If you haven't clicked yet on the Globe article linked above, you won't have read that there's been a change in thinking regarding the 230 College Street property, and a shift towards 1 Spadina Crescent. The operative line is

the faculty of architecture and landscape design, anticipating growth in its programs and research operations, has iced recent makeover plans to its current digs at 230 College St.

Give the article a read!

I wasn't that keen on the Office dA proposal. Apparently reinforcing the foundations of the old AL&D building would be ridiculously expensive (but necessary since the plan called to add 2 floors) so that might be why the Spadina Cr. building is being considered.

How wonderful would it be to put Architecture & Design at a place of honor within the city... at the head of Spadina Cr. with wonderful, light north-facing light that could act as a bold dramatic view terminus from the North... Exciting! That building is in desperate need of being brought back to life.

But wasn't there news today that U of T is in serious debt and has to close its comparative literature department? How might that affect these grand plans?

As mentioned in the article - the northern portion of the site is also a ripe for redevelopment into another iconic structure - though of course the nature of the site and the existing building will demand sensitivity in the design. Wonder who will move to the existing AL&D if they move though.

AoD

Back