Toronto U of T: Centre for Civilizations, Cultures, and Cities | 42.75m | 9s | U of T | DS + R

Of course, they removed the only redeeming feature: the cantilevered box has been absorbed into the building and it’s now just essentially a standard box:

Before/
36014-121168.jpeg

After:
42046-139251.jpg

I expect to get even more standardized and boring. I was ok with the original proposal taking this space despite being a little imposing over a low rise park neighbourhood but now it’s lost what made it unique. I hope it get rejected. I’d rather see the ROM complete Renaissance ROM and build a south crystal and a new South entrance pavilion and square here.

The building isn't that bad...........

But I really find it inappropriate at this location.

To me, the building itself and the landscape plan, completely sterilize and decontextualize the heritage.

It's just jarring.

And the landscape is mostly hardscape and doesn't in any way fit the heritage of the site or the appearance of the buildings.

If you're going to do that, then level the history and be done with it. Not my preferred choice.

But here we again have an attempt to fit something new and maybe daring into an inappropriate location, which then necessitates compromise, which manages to diminish the value of the new while still crapping on the old.

Meh. Scrap the idea.

Last edited:
^ jarring is a highly appropriate word.

WHY IS THIS SO BIG

were the community consultations not very highly advertised?

Some missed opportunities IMO:

-As the planetarium heritage is not kept in any manner, why not fill up more of the plaza space, terracing down to reduce the visual impact? This might also offer the opportunity to reduce the bulk of the rest of the structure, and possibly offer space for a better South ROM entrance.
- The building still feels a bit too massive for its location, and again would benefit from shifting more of the mass north closer to the ROM Curatorial Centre- this again might offer the opportunity to create interesting rooftop spaces.

That cantilevered box was never doing the building any favours, nor were the columns at the first two levels. This actually is a big improvement to my eyes - they're solid refinements. I'm not a fan of the project overall but I think this is better than the last iteration.

-As the planetarium heritage is not kept in any manner, why not fill up more of the plaza space, terracing down to reduce the visual impact? This might also offer the opportunity to reduce the bulk of the rest of the structure, and possibly offer space for a better South ROM entrance.
- The building still feels a bit too massive for its location, and again would benefit from shifting more of the mass north closer to the ROM Curatorial Centre- this again might offer the opportunity to create interesting rooftop spaces.

THIS. The height wouldn't be so bad if they indeed terraced down to make it more of a gradual rise. And yes, definitely- they could have maintained the gross floor area if they made more use of the plaza in front of the planetarium's current spot. They could have made the building an L shape wrapping around Falconer Hall, terracing on each leg of the L up to a high point where both legs of the L meet in the northwest corner.

The current plan looks like they've violently rammed a structure inbetween two buildings where it doesn't quite fit.
Also not much of a fan of the tall grass landscaping.

You gave me an idea: why not get Libeskind to design a south crystal that would then transform into a larger glass standalone crystal building for UofT? The ROM is going to replace their remaining terrace building. Why not keep the same design language? Even if the buildings aren’t physically connected, they could maintain a continuity of design.

You gave me an idea: why not get Libeskind to design a south crystal that would then transform into a larger glass standalone crystal building for UofT? The ROM is going to replace their remaining terrace building. Why not keep the same design language? Even if the buildings aren’t physically connected, they could maintain a continuity of design.

Because: This building looks like a bunch of stacked up boxes in a tight space because it is a bunch of stacked up uses in a tight space, form following function. The crystal started out as We need a starchitectural gewgaw first and foremost, in which we'll try to shove a museum.

I'm not saying I don't like the crystal, or this new building. I went to university in this zone for several years. I was happy to see the crystal come and will be just as happy to see the planetarium, whatever its nostalgia value, vanish. I think the two will be fine side by side, and will turn the area into a gawker's paradise.

Because it's not 2002 and bombastic forms by eccentric academics which, while doing wonders for the streetscape, have proven to be curatorial nightmares, are no longer en vogue?

Community Consultation: Planning Application for 78-90 Queen’s Park

The City is holding a second community consultation meeting online where you can learn about the revisions to this application, ask questions and share your comments.

When: July 14, 2020
Time: 6 – 8 p.m.
Where: Online – information and participation instructions are provided below (link)

1593831153433.png

1593831198219.png

1593831216923.png

1593831234322.png

1593831253930.png

1593831283307.png

1593831327162.png

1593831343768.png

1593831388232.png

1593831437314.png

1593831473740.png

Last edited: