News   Apr 16, 2024
 290     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 655     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.5K     0 

Clover Hill Park (5 St. Joseph, 0s, NAK Deisgn)

It's like tasteful statues that have worked for millennia are no longer possible to create.
It’s Called art! appreciate it for its creativity, not what you personally think of it. Everyone has different tastes and styles they like and this city (Toronto) is great at distributing its artistic tastes and flavours for all. We can’t have every style in one place to please everyone right. what would that even look like?

Should there be a thread dedicated to public art in Toronto? (Both institutional and not)
I don't know about this. As I imagine the subjective nature of this would make it...err, "fun" to moderate.

20200516_074336.jpg
20200516_074426.jpg
20200516_074400.jpg
20200516_074454.jpg

From Layton’s newsletter:

"Primrose", a bronze baby donkey standing at approximately 3.6 metres high has been unveiled at the northern end of Ward 11's Clover Hill Park. The sculpture is the work of Vancouver-based artist Myfanwy Macleod, known in part for her giant sparrow sculpture in Olympic Park, and marks the entrance to the University of Toronto's St Michael's College.

The sculpture was financed through Section 37 funding, and chosen by a five-person jury as part of a competition led by the City's Economic Development and Culture division. The jury included community members, as well as subject-matter experts in contemporary art and public art practice.

According to Macleod, whose work often combines art history, folklore, and pop culture, the sculpture is "a parody of the equestrian monument," placing it in dialogue with dominant forms of public art. Primrose merges a number of additional references, including the image of Jesus riding a donkey (due to this location's historical importance as a Catholic site); the idea of the valorization of the working donkey; the prevalent symbolism of animals in Western art; and the true story of Primrose, a baby donkey born prematurely and unable to stand, who was fitted with a pair of pink casts that allowed her to walk. Primrose's plaster casts also invite the signatures of children, playing on the idea of graffiti in public space.

From Layton’s newsletter:

"Primrose", a bronze baby donkey standing at approximately 3.6 metres high has been unveiled at the northern end of Ward 11's Clover Hill Park. The sculpture is the work of Vancouver-based artist Myfanwy Macleod, known in part for her giant sparrow sculpture in Olympic Park, and marks the entrance to the University of Toronto's St Michael's College.

The sculpture was financed through Section 37 funding, and chosen by a five-person jury as part of a competition led by the City's Economic Development and Culture division. The jury included community members, as well as subject-matter experts in contemporary art and public art practice.

According to Macleod, whose work often combines art history, folklore, and pop culture, the sculpture is "a parody of the equestrian monument," placing it in dialogue with dominant forms of public art. Primrose merges a number of additional references, including the image of Jesus riding a donkey (due to this location's historical importance as a Catholic site); the idea of the valorization of the working donkey; the prevalent symbolism of animals in Western art; and the true story of Primrose, a baby donkey born prematurely and unable to stand, who was fitted with a pair of pink casts that allowed her to walk. Primrose's plaster casts also invite the signatures of children, playing on the idea of graffiti in public space.
Love this art piece, it sparks a conversation over being forgettable (like many other pieces in TO). Great addition to the city.

If there was one quirky piece of public art in the world that I would poach and bring to Toronto, it would be the (now removed) man with head stuck in building at the Collegium Hungaricum in Berlin:

20150102_104501.jpg

I really like the sculpture. It makes me wonder if the cartoonish donkey was hit by a car on Bay Street, as so many people drive aggressively and cause a lot of accidents there. So it reminds me of how much damage our culture of prioritizing driver convenience in the city causes us.

Also, it makes wonder what the Catholic Church's message would be with regard to the injured animal, since so many of their teachings revolve around how people should treat other people as opposed to animals.

That looks like something out of Attack on Titan...

Back