U Condominiums | 184m | 56s | Pemberton | architectsAlliance

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
To avoid Yonge St., Bay Street has become a much more pleasing and engaging street to walk, the sidewalks are much busier too. This more user-friendly green space at the north half looks like a great update.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
To avoid Yonge St., Bay Street has become a much more pleasing and engaging street to walk, the sidewalks are much busier too. This more user-friendly green space at the north half looks like a great update.
I definitely find myself disagreeing with the oft-ascribed soullessness of Bay Street. It is a nice mix of city + wide sidewalks + occasional greenery without the displeasure that is Yonge Street through much of the same stretch.

AlbertC

Member Bio
Reaction score
Bay has made strides in recent years. I've noticed that pedestrian activity has gradually improved. The influx of residential buildings have contributed greatly of course, along with the filling in of former parking lots with buildings to complete the street scape. The next major one remaining is the one north of the bus terminal, which I believe is owned by Lanterra right now.

Retail has gotten a bit better too. The new Neo Coffee Bar south of College looks really busy when passing by. Green Grotto has 2 locations along Bay now, including one at the cool Burano space. Ramen Raijin just off the main street near Wellesley is another good spot.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
The statue, which I believe is a donkey or mule, is partially uncovered today. It really seems out of place to me.
It's surely an ass. Bay Street has some truly bad public art - the cheapo stairway to Purgatory is just slightly further north at Bay and Charles.

1589477820792.png

(Google Streetview)

And then there is this whatever at RoCP II

1589478055544.png

(Google Streetview)

And then further south, we have the melting snowmen at Bay+Gerrard:

1589478616334.png

(Google Streetview)

AoD

Last edited:

ProjectEnd

Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited:

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Now looking at my photos, it almost appears that the donkey/mule has casts on its front legs. Anyhow, I can’t say I like it.
I thought the same - I think those must be protective covers for shipping/installing? Nevermind - there is something wrong with the proportionality of the piece...

AoD

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score

isaidso

Member Bio
Reaction score
Love the donkey/mule/ass and love the snowman despite being kitschy. The other 2 examples (Bay/Charles and ROCP) are awful. Instead of adding to what's there it's doing the absolute opposite.