Toronto TYSSE: York University Station | ?m | 1s | TTC | Foster + Partners

sorry about the sun reflection but this is the ever-widening hole that is York University station....
IMG-20130116-00068.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20130116-00068.jpg
    IMG-20130116-00068.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 815
The York U station box is looking awful neat and tidy these days. The bridges hide the tunnel entrances over on the far left.
York.jpg

Attachments

• York.jpg
    York.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 882
No machinery on site at all? It looks like an abandoned site. Or does it need to be left like that until they get the tunnels to a certain state of completion?

No machinery on site at all? It looks like an abandoned site. Or does it need to be left like that until they get the tunnels to a certain state of completion?

leaving it availble in case they need it for the rowing at the Pan Am Games? ;)

It's still all quiet at the York U site, as per the picture I posted the other week. Interestingly (or not?) the station box looks like it's flooded with - well, it's hard to tell the depth - but I'd say a couple of feet of water. Maybe it's just part of the process but it's weird to see.

Probably abandoned until the actual statio construction contracter is tendered and is sent in. They still have 3 years to build the station so I'm not worried, and it has always been the station that was furthest behind in the construction process

Probably abandoned until the actual statio construction contracter is tendered and is sent in. They still have 3 years to build the station so I'm not worried, and it has always been the station that was furthest behind in the construction process
...and when they come, they would probably have to pay a penalty.

If anyone ever felt like having a swim in a station box, now might be your best chance...
20131023_105606 (600x800).jpg

Attachments

• 20131023_105606 (600x800).jpg
    20131023_105606 (600x800).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 968
how is this even possible when most of the tunnelling is already completed? Wouldn't the water from the station box flood the rest of the tunnels north and south of the site.

There actually are a few employees milling about up top but no ongoing work.
It's hard to say how deep it is but the tunnels are just out of view at the far end; it's not quite that high....3 or 4 feet if I had to guess, but hard to say from a height.
There's also some kind of pump out of view on the right but I can't say if it's taking water out or putting it in. It's been like this for some time now. Maybe a construction expert knows what's going on...?

Back