Toronto TYSSE: Pioneer Village Station | 11.89m | 1s | TTC | aLL Design

Black Creek Pioneer Village was awful. Extremely happy for the name change, because I was hoping it'd change to anything else! Honestly, they should have shortened it to Black Creek station, or reverted back to Steeles West for that matter.

Like I said earlier, they should name the Highway 407 station Black Creek, as there's no cross street, the actual creek runs right by it, and the walking distance to Pioneer Village is comparable. Why has the TTC not thought of this?

Like I said earlier, they should name the Highway 407 station Black Creek, as there's no cross street, the actual creek runs right by it, and the walking distance to Pioneer Village is comparable. Why has the TTC not thought of this?

Read the report on the naming - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com.../February_29/Reports/Toronto_York_Spadina.pdf

They considered 10 different names, including Black Creek. They said that Black Creek

is the nearest significant natural feature to the station. Black Creek extends a considerable distance throughout western Toronto, and so, using the name for this station may cause confusion for customers who know of Black Creek in other locations. This station will not be the closest station to Black Creek Pioneer Village, and this could cause confusion for customers.

Read the report on the naming - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com.../February_29/Reports/Toronto_York_Spadina.pdf

They considered 10 different names, including Black Creek. They said that Black Creek

is the nearest significant natural feature to the station. Black Creek extends a considerable distance throughout western Toronto, and so, using the name for this station may cause confusion for customers who know of Black Creek in other locations. This station will not be the closest station to Black Creek Pioneer Village, and this could cause confusion for customers.

Maybe so, but seriously, there are is no other station named "Black Creek", so why would people get confused because of that? And who would give the creek any thought when looking for their stop?

As for Pioneer Village being closer, if you want to go there, get directions and get off at STEELES WEST.

The TTC needs to stop being so nitpicky about potential passenger confusion and get logical. it's the same with GO naming the downtown Barrie station "Allandale Waterfront" because the existing station is called "Barrie" South and they don't want to rename to existing station at the south end "Mapleview" because they feel people might confuse it with Maple station.

Maybe so, but seriously, there are is no other station named "Black Creek", so why would people get confused because of that?
I believe that when they wrote that, there were still plans to have a "Black Creek" station on Eglinton between Mount Dennis station and Keele station.

Still, I think it's a lousy name. One doesn't tend to associate Black Creek with Vaughan.

The plans that I have seen have the North side of Steeles being developed while I haven't seen any plans from York to do anything to their parking lots in the NW. So if anything UPS might be squeezed out, not BCPV.

I'm pretty sure there is a new secondary plan (or official plan amendment?) for the area to the west. The stretch towards keele is all hydro corridor so I don't know they can do anything there...

(Just realized you meant York UNIVERSITY. Yeah, the tennis centre is nearby so I doubt the parking is going anywhere for now. But the school is doing a new master plan and maybe that sees more development potential there....)

And the main reason for the 407 name, I believe , has to do with the transit way, which does make the highway a rather crucial "cross street"

Last edited:
Curiously timed with the ROM's decision to move their front entrance, so it's now faster for anyone coming from the Spadina line or the Bloor-Danforth line to get off at St. George instead. I have to wonder why they didn't at the same time add a secondary entrance directly from Museum station, into the nearby basement of the ROM - similar to the entrance in New York from 81st Street station to the Natural History Museum.

A direct subway entrance was part of the condominium plan that the ROM originally proposed, but was shot down by the community.

Maybe so, but seriously, there are is no other station named "Black Creek", so why would people get confused because of that? And who would give the creek any thought when looking for their stop?

As for Pioneer Village being closer, if you want to go there, get directions and get off at STEELES WEST.

The TTC needs to stop being so nitpicky about potential passenger confusion and get logical. it's the same with GO naming the downtown Barrie station "Allandale Waterfront" because the existing station is called "Barrie" South and they don't want to rename to existing station at the south end "Mapleview" because they feel people might confuse it with Maple station.

Barrie Allandale station is further from the Downtown of Barrie than Pioneer Village is from this station. Given the fact that there are 2 different Maple station and where they would be, that stretching to say people would be confuse.

To say a station name needs to represent the cross street name is off the scale by my view. It should represent the area or an important item in the area.

Maybe it me, but I had next to no problems getting to places in the various European cities I visited considering I could not read or understand 8 different languages I had to deal with. I looked at the map as to where I wanted to travel to/from in the city and look for the station near it. Other than getting turn around a few times because I couldn't read the signs, got to where I wanted to go to with no real problem.

You make the mistake the first time, you quickly learn that not the way to where you want to go too.

If development does start to fill up the empty fields around the Pioneer Village Station, what sort of pressure could the city (cities, Toronto and Vaughan) put on the developers to blend into the current Black Creek Pioneer Village?

Could the city force developer to build wooden skyscrapers for example?

Russian Wooden Skyscraper:
2.jpg

Wooden prototype for a large mixed-use university complex that would be located along the Chicago River in Chicago‘s South Loop.
big-wood-skyscraper-3-537x385.jpg

Innovative wooden tower for Vancouver
tall-wood-skyscraper-by-michael-green-537x442.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 833
  • big-wood-skyscraper-3-537x385.jpg
    big-wood-skyscraper-3-537x385.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 854
  • tall-wood-skyscraper-by-michael-green-537x442.jpg
    tall-wood-skyscraper-by-michael-green-537x442.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 790
Wood is inferior to steel and concrete. That it's renewable doesn't matter so much because great buildings of steel, concrete and stone can last centuries and be used for a variety of purposes. I'd like to see its use minimized in new building construction rather than maximized. I don't share some planners' enthusiasm for Ontario's planning regulation changes to allow for taller wood-framed buildings up to 6 storeys.

At least the Pioneer Village name is a reasonable length unlike Vaughan Metropolitan Center. The station will serve Steeles West and likely the largest populations using the station will be Steeles West bus riders and people from or to York U campus locations. What percentage of people using the station would be going to a Pioneer Village with population zero. Maybe they should rethink the station design and come up with something more rustic.

I believe that when they wrote that, there were still plans to have a "Black Creek" station on Eglinton between Mount Dennis station and Keele station.

Still, I think it's a lousy name. One doesn't tend to associate Black Creek with Vaughan.

The creek itself is not enough of a landmark, and BCPV is too long. I kind of like the idea of just 'Pioneer' as the station name, but that's probably too abstract by Toronto standards.

Back